calling all alcoholics...considering running alky need help

boyzbad

Top Fueler
Jul 28, 2004
Olathe, Ks
Hitman is right about the alky myths. I have been running it since 99. I run a BLP carb and belt pump. Also stay away from cheap alky. I went to VP alky and Klotz Uplon top lube. They are the shiznit. No drainnig of the system through out the year. I just drain the fuel at the end of the year and clean the carb. Heck everyone should rebuild their carb at season end imo. I don't know about the more consistent thing but it did make my door car more predictable. It adds some down low to mid range but don't be looking for .50 or something. Also alky does absorb water easier so leave your drums sealed, and your fuel jugs tight, I even sit my stuff up on wood so it's off the ground. If your carb is setup right it will not milk your oil to the point of changing it every race. Alky motors need heat in the oil, get a temp gauge and you will be shocked that even though you water is up to temp your oil is far from it. I have benn experimenting with oil temps and my car is affected by them. You need to get your whole driveline good and heat soaked before you make time trials to have a chance in bracket racing. Last you need to put a hose off the intake or vacum soure with a vale so you can aid in your warm up by leanning the motor out with a vac. leak. With the price of leaded race fuel I will be on alky for awhile. Stay away from E-85 right now since there are consistantcy issues with the mixture of ethanol.

floorboard

Frequent Racer
Mar 3, 2004
tea,sd
www.lubedealer.com
Stay away from E-85 right now since there are consistantcy issues with the mixture of ethanol.[/quote said:
one word.....BOGUS!!!!!

Do you have proof of this?? I help many people around south dakota area convert to e85 and many of them race routinly and have had no issues with consistantcy what so ever...If my engine had a little more cr I would be right with them.

Scott

A

Anonymous

we ran alcohol in the top fuel hydro. Unless your building some big time pony's stick with race fuel. But if you really want to run elky here are some pointers. First the big rule of thumb is for every gallon of gas you car consumes, it will consumes 2 gallons of alcohol. So keep alot on hand. Two make sure there is no rubber in your fuel system, steel braided hoses will work if they have a neopreme lining in them. Three since alcohol runs real cold, invest in a oil pan blanket, or oil pan heater. We ran a 1071 littlefield, hillborn injection and also direct injected the heads. So you wanna run a carb that really dumps. Believe it or not I found that one of the best alcohol carbs around is the preditor carb. They suck if your running gas, but since metering alcohol is not a problem they work really well for that purpose. Or if you have the cash a flying toilet bowl from rons fuel injection in Arizona works the best, But they are pricey. But above all be really careful running alcohol. It's nasty stuff, any minor leak and you have a fireball on your hands, since alky has a way lower burn rates then gas. It would also be wise to mix about 10% meth in with it. Meth does 2 things, 1 it controls the burn, alky has a nasty tendence to want to explode. And 2 it adds color to the flame everyone knows if your on fire. Alcohol on fire looks like heat waves coming of a highway in the desert. Well I hope that helps you some, and good luck with your ride.
Mike

boyzbad

Top Fueler
Jul 28, 2004
Olathe, Ks
floorboard said:
Stay away from E-85 right now since there are consistantcy issues with the mixture of ethanol.[/quote said:
one word.....BOGUS!!!!!

Do you have proof of this?? I help many people around south dakota area convert to e85 and many of them race routinly and have had no issues with consistantcy what so ever...If my engine had a little more cr I would be right with them.

Scott

Yes the E-85 at the pump only needs to be at 70% min. blend. If you doubt what I'm saying call up the Indy guys who run the stuff and ask them why the sanctioning body purchases all the fuel needed for the entire
season at the begining of the year. I am unaware of any place to buy a "sealed drum" of the stuff. A 15% variance in the mixture will likely flog your af ratio up.

floorboard

Frequent Racer
Mar 3, 2004
tea,sd
www.lubedealer.com
ok if you say so... :roll:

It was my understanding the indy guys had 1 fuel source to keep teams from cheating and from different fuel additives that other suppliers put into the fuel, but what do I know.

Scott

boyzbad

Top Fueler
Jul 28, 2004
Olathe, Ks
I'm not trying to stir it up but wouldn't a 15% difference per gallon mess up a carb?? I'm just past the corn belt in KS and the supply on ethanol is a major issue. Stations fill the tanks with 87 all the time just to meet the 70% rating. In fact the farther North you go the cheaper the E=85 gets (this stuff needs to be 30% cheaper to be economical over gas). Why is that? Supply and blend issues plauge this stuff right now. If your lucky enough to have a consistant supply then go for it. There is a reason QFT is a minority in this stuff right now. BTW the Indy guys don't do the stockhold of fuel on purpose they do it for a consistent blend of fuel for the entire season.

floorboard

Frequent Racer
Mar 3, 2004
tea,sd
www.lubedealer.com
boyzbad said:
I'm not trying to stir it up but wouldn't a 15% difference per gallon mess up a carb?? I'm just past the corn belt in KS and the supply on ethanol is a major issue. Stations fill the tanks with 87 all the time just to meet the 70% rating. In fact the farther North you go the cheaper the E=85 gets (this stuff needs to be 30% cheaper to be economical over gas). Why is that? Supply and blend issues plauge this stuff right now. If your lucky enough to have a consistant supply then go for it. There is a reason QFT is a minority in this stuff right now. BTW the Indy guys don't do the stockhold of fuel on purpose they do it for a consistent blend of fuel for the entire season.

I really don't think so. I used to run the e85 in my small block and Ive also ran the e98 and saw no differences what so ever and did nothing to the carb. even if they switched to a lesser amount of ehanol as what you are saying, all that should happen is make the engine run just slightly richer because the ethanol will not be producing as much 02 during the burn. Now if your source were to go opposite like ours with jetting all the same your engine would be slightly leaner. Thats why you can't take a stock carb and just run the e85, you would be way way lean. Your source of e85 must change the product before it gets to your pump. I checked 3 different stations last night and all the pumps had big bold words--min. of 85% ethanol may contain more but not less than min. a. Right now e85 is at 1.28 and regular unlead is at 1.74 here in South Dakota. I guess if you guys are having that kind of problems with the quality of the fuel down there I would be complaining to your fed. agency in your area and speak your mind about it. Its just weird that fuel is so different from state to state.

floorboard

Frequent Racer
Mar 3, 2004
tea,sd
www.lubedealer.com
whooppps!!!I meant 2.28 and 2.79 my bad... :oops: :oops:

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts