Converting to Grand Prix Dash

RatMalibu

Pro Stocker
May 21, 2003
Rolla, Mo.
www.fidnet.com
i've got the 5" tach and speedo and the 2 5/8" others...they'll fit behind the bezel. you can leave the little lip with the chrome on it there or take it out..I choose to take it out just to make more of the gauge visable. pics soon

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
I've seen the gauges installed both ways,. thru the front, and behind the bezel and crystal.
I would like to do mine almost stock looking with the gauges recessed behind the bezel and crystal.
Jack ;)

extremeracing

Frequent Racer
Oct 28, 2003
Kansas City
Im with Jack I am going to try mounting the guages behind the bezel. Thanks for all the help guys, Matt, what are you doing with your old gauges? I still havent bought mine yet and I think I may go with Autometer ultralights with the silver face. I look forward to the pics of the inside of your dash.

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Mat,
I think there's a few other guys on the site that have Pontiac dashes in their Malibu's...not including the guys with Lemans, GP's, and Bonnevilles.
I might just start out using aftermarket VDO or Autometer gauges in the small openings. Maybe retain the stock speedo and tach...and later replace them with matching instruments. Depending on how good of a deal I can get on the whole set.
Maybe some of the other guys will show their GP dashes.
Jack ;)

Doug Keen

Pro Stocker
May 22, 2003
Central, Illinois
When I modded the dash for my old GP I mounted the guages in the bezel behind the clear plastic. I used some "parts store" gauges 2 1/16", a hole saw and a dremel. It was a lot of material removal, and the stock stuff will never work again, but it sure turned out nice.

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Doug,
You're right. Once you start removing the excess plastic inside the gauge housings and the openings, you can't go back with the stock gauges.
I picked up another set of housings to modify, and I have a set that I'm keeping stock/ unmodified.
Jack ;)

78_Elky

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2005
Oregon
smlblk78.onlineshowoff.com
Longroof79 said:
Doug,
You're right. Once you start removing the excess plastic inside the gauge housings and the openings, you can't go back with the stock gauges.
I picked up another set of housings to modify, and I have a set that I'm keeping stock/ unmodified.
Jack ;)

When I fabbed my gauge pod in my car I did the same thing, and just about everything I've done to my car I try to keep a spare before I do something stupid.
-Josh

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
78_Elky said:
Longroof79 said:
Doug,
Jack ;)

When I fabbed my gauge pod in my car I did the same thing, and just about everything I've done to my car I try to keep a spare before I do something stupid.
-Josh
==================================================
Josh,
There's nothing like that helpless feeling when you've ruined something that you know you can't use again....yes, it's good to have spares.
Jack ;)

RatMalibu

Pro Stocker
May 21, 2003
Rolla, Mo.
www.fidnet.com
just so you guys don't think I've forgotten you.....my speedo should be here tomorrow as well as the new 4 and 9 pin harness connectors so I can rewire all my gauges...I've been busy with all kindsa other junk and haven't had time to get it completely apart....should have some pics soon

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts