Converting wiper switch from dash to stalk

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
I was wondering if anyone had converted from the dash mounted wiper switch to later type stalk mount, and what does it entail? Is it a matter of following wiring color for color?
I have a later tilt column in the car, and will be replacing dash for GP type with no dash mounted wiper switch.
Is there anyone that can simplify this "switch" over?
Thanks !
Jack

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Geez...I guess my question was retarded!?! :?
I'm sure someone can put me in the right direction...

RatMalibu

Pro Stocker
May 21, 2003
Rolla, Mo.
www.fidnet.com
I can't help ya yet Jack...but will be doing this in the future myself....i've wired up a column with the controls on the stalk to an aftermarket wiper assembly on a 49 chevy truck and it was as simple as matching wires up...hopefully it will be the same with this....all we should need is the schematics for both styles i would think

78_Elky

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2005
Oregon
smlblk78.onlineshowoff.com
I have not done it, but I did wire the wiper motor and sprayer in my car myself. As far as I know the wires just need to be moved. all the controls for the motor are really mounted in the motor, the switch is just a switch. So as long as you don't get fancy and try to go from a non-delay setup to a delay setup I think you will be fine. Just start tracing wires, there are only 3 or 4 if I remember correctly. :D
-Josh

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Thanks Matt and Josh!
I guess I'll try to match them up between the different wiring diagrams, early and later.
I think I tried going color for color, but found that there was afew different color wires thrown in there, and wasn't successful. I'll give it another shot.
At this time, I won't be going with interval, or delay wipers.
Thanks again guys!
Jack ;)

79wagonator

Dragway Regular
Jan 3, 2006
Long Island, NY
www.cardomain.com
Jack,
Try testing the switch with an ohmeter or put some juice through it.
If theres only 3 wires like 78elky said I would thing there is 1 in and 2 out one for each speed. There's probably more than 3 for the stalk switch though right?

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
79wagonator said:
Jack,
Try testing the switch with an ohmeter or put some juice through it.
If theres only 3 wires like 78elky said I would thing there is 1 in and 2 out one for each speed. There's probably more than 3 for the stalk switch though right?
===================================================
Dave,
connecting an ohmeter to it might be the ticket, and putting juice to the switch. Yes, there was more than 3-wires if I recall. Perhaps I was alittle hasty the day I was working on it.
I'll approach it again soon and let you know of my findings.
It shouldn't be a big deal. It's a matter of bypassing the dash mounted switch...you would think..
Thanks man!
Jack :)

78_Elky

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2005
Oregon
smlblk78.onlineshowoff.com
There are three wires for the motor, two power wires and one ground I think, the other two wires go to the washer pump, and they work like the horn, when you push the switch it grounds and the pump turns on. I hope that helps a bit more, I ended up using an Ohm meter to get mine working all righ, it took an hour or so.
-Josh

540Malibu

Pro Stocker
May 22, 2003
Shrews., MA
get the wiper motor from a newer car and take the motor pigtail, then run the same color wires to the same color wires and youll be all set

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Josh and Spence,
Good advice guys. I may also go with a newer wiper motor . This one is getting alittle sluggish anyway...and the washer pumper is shot.
I have a pigtail that comes from a later G-body with stalk mounted switch.
Thanks again guys! I appreciate your help..
Jack :)

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts