Did I "F" up ?

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
I know its not the "right way" but Ive done it MANY times. The old 327's with no bolt hole you had to beat the crap out of them to get them on.

Brian79

Frequent Racer
Aug 21, 2008
Wataga, IL
Man am I glad this subject came up. I was getting ready to install a new Balancer in a couple of weeks. Guess it is time for a new tool(toy)! \:D/

Garage Hound

Frequent Racer
Jun 22, 2005
Independence, MO
Brian79 said:
Ok so the "pounding it on" method is wrong. What is the correct way on installing it?

My Mom told me long ago never to pound my crank, but mine still works okay. As far as explaining how to install it, that might be pushing the limits of good taste for this forum. I'll just leave that one alone. :roll:

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I've done a couple with a rubber mallet, then started tapping around the hub while applying a small amount of torque to the balancer bolt because I didn't want to strip the threads in the snout. Now that I know the tool exists I'll likely get it when I build my next motor.

Excelerater

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 22, 2003
Memphis,TN
I am 100% certain that NO engine part is supposed to be
installed with a Hammer...... :shock:

purple barney

Frequent Racer
Mar 29, 2009
Raleigh NC
Excelerater said:

What about cylinder head dowels and block dowels? How are you supposed to install those with out a hammer?
;)

silver79

Weekend Racer
Jun 3, 2003
whitewater, WI
Excelerater said:

I use a hammer for piston installs all the time. The rubber end of the handle but none the less, a hammer..........

A

Anonymous

for years I have looked at the tool in the cheap tool isle of the parts store and walked the other way. :lol:

A dead blow seems to work fine and I haven't had any issues yet. someday the mood may strike me when I'm in the store to get that tool though. I keep buying tools for all kinds of other stuff..why not :-k

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts