Did I "F" up ?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I've also been concerned about starting it on the snout straight, and what may happen if it winds up going on even slightly crooked...

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
Well it would appear that about everyone is guilty of beating a balancer on an engine at one time or another,yours truly included,several times actually and I never had any failures,deffinatly the correct method is a balancer installation tool,I've owned a Snap-On for a long time now,the
balancers slide right on just like they're supposed to!! Totally amazing!
But shice Ed Cannon jogged my crusty memory,old 265s,283s and 327s
didn't have a tapped hole in the end of the crank,wonder what got the hammer treatment? The only way I can see to install a balancer on one of those without putting pressure on the thrust bearing would be a hydraulic press,pressing against the flywheel end of the crank! Now that would be a pain! Gotta be a better way,any ideas? Later,KillerDave

641basshead

Daily Driver
Mar 14, 2009
I have stripped the theads out before, it is no fun. I bought the master install kit by performace tool for 50 bucks.

kevind

Dragway Regular
Jan 7, 2009
Whitley City KY
I have knocked them on with a hammer I used a block of wood. I got a tool to remove and install them and it made so much easier. On the old 283 and 327's I just drill and tap the end of the crank.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts