Dye paint

JuniorJ

Frequent Racer
Mike said:
78CheeseheadBu said:
Hi I'm New Here Get that out there first, I was Looking Into Getting Some Dye For My Car and I Found http://www.eastwood.com/ Is probably the best bet alot of Chevy guy's use this and I've heard this has great results Hope that Helps.

Not trying to shoot you down as far as Eastwood but theyre OK for "some" things but I wouldnt go there and buy SEM products. SEM has a standard color chart with very basic and new colors. I would tell anyone to go to a good auto paint supplier to get an EXACT mix of the color they want. They were so many different colors used back then, not like now where new cars come with only 3 color choices for an interior. Ive used the product several times. I try to take a sample of the color that I want and they mix it. The last time I took an A pillar and the part of the dash under the steering column because they were 2 different colors. The guy mixed it so perfectly when I sprayed the piece of dash it matched so well you couldnt see where I sprayed it. And they didnt charge to do the mix. And I dont know if Junior or anyone else does it this way but I found it works best when you put on a very light mist coat each time. I may be doing it wrong but it worked well for me.

Light coats is the only way to go, and I have 90% of my stuff mixed by my local paint supply house. I use the SEM's stuff for little stuff.

78ElkySS

Weekend Racer
May 22, 2003
Crestview, FL
I've dyed parts of my Camino twice, the first time I used dupli-color from the local auto parts store and it looked great at first but after some usage it started to flake and fade. Recently I have been trying to restore my car to its stock colors and could only find Light Blue dye from Elcaminostore.com, the company that makes it is called Color Bond. I washed everything in dish soap first then wiped everything down with mineral spirits. I used a adhesion promoter on the soft vinyl parts and spray primer on the hard interior parts. I was very impressed with the results.

GrandAmMan

Amateur Racer
78ElkySS said:
I've dyed parts of my Camino twice, the first time I used dupli-color from the local auto parts store and it looked great at first but after some usage it started to flake and fade. Recently I have been trying to restore my car to its stock colors and could only find Light Blue dye from Elcaminostore.com, the company that makes it is called Color Bond. I washed everything in dish soap first then wiped everything down with mineral spirits. I used a adhesion promoter on the soft vinyl parts and spray primer on the hard interior parts. I was very impressed with the results.
ElkySS, Is this the same color blue as their "Light Blue"?
I had to have it custom mixed and put in a spray can. I had to go back for more and the gloss didn't match between batches. I would love to find it already mixed in a spray can. SEM's only has Regal Blue (tto dark) and Wedgewood Blue (too light)
BLUE_79_INTERIOR_011_jpg.jpg

Konkeler

Pro Stocker
Jun 2, 2003
Hampton Roads VA
I've had decent luck with the vinyl spray on paint. First was a dash board for my CJ-7 I got for free. Was maroon in color, I sprayed it with a few coats of black vinyl spray paint. A small spot wore off because of the tach on my steering column, but beyond that's it's held up well for a few years now (3-4).

Next was a bench seat in a old stake bed work truck. The seat didn't have a single tear in it, but the light blue was dingy way beyond cleaning. Pulled it out, painted it, put it in. I sold the truck and never used it much, so I can't say how well it held up, but it was fine for the little time I did have it (several months, minimum use).

Going to do my whole interior in my tan 4-door this was. It's kind of a daily beater. Most of the interior is in decent condition, but very faded or worn.

78ElkySS

Weekend Racer
May 22, 2003
Crestview, FL
Here is what my pieces look like against the carpet. Hopefully next week I will have a picture of the interior in the car and that may give you a better idea. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• IMAG0285.jpg
    IMAG0285.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,816

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
GrandAmMan said:
ElkySS, Is this the same color blue as their "Light Blue"?
I had to have it custom mixed and put in a spray can. I had to go back for more and the gloss didn't match between batches. I would love to find it already mixed in a spray can. SEM's only has Regal Blue (tto dark) and Wedgewood Blue (too light)
BLUE_79_INTERIOR_011_jpg.jpg

SEM also makes Shadow Blue. But that may be a little too dark for your interior if you are going with stock colors. I don't think that color was around in 79.

SEM's interior spray dye is the best thing I've done to my car hands down. A couple spots chipped due to the door closing on it and such. Also the kick panels because of the sharp edges on the sill plates. When I take the interior out to re-wire my car, I'm going to spray it again and then clearcoat it this time.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts