elco's and drag radials???

1982 SS

Frequent Racer
Jan 19, 2007
Clearfield, Utah
yes i have. A local coal and rock dealer had a scale that i weighed it on, the calibration tag was less than a year old and it came out to be about 3830 with me in it. I took out all the junk like my jack, my tool kit and other assorted stuff the collects behind the seat and came down 3804. At the time i had removed my ac but still had the heater box.

elcamino814

Amateur Racer
Nov 21, 2009
Beecher,illinois
HERE IS A VERIFIED GROSS WIEGHT OF MY 1980 SS....3300 LBS!!!!!
I just came back from a local truck stop(18 wheelers sleep over place.) Now the car is very basic when it comes to accessories, but here is a quick list
1980ss , with a 65-78 350block cut .030, and a nice all black interior with bucket seats and a B$M z-gate.
alluminum L98 heads
vic Jr. intake
shorty headders
A 8.5 10 bolt posi with 3.42's( from an 87 buick T-type)
"Weld" wheels 15 inch skinnys x 275/60's out back
A bolt on 3"cowl hood
Most junk that a hot rodder could take off has been removed under the hood.
And the 3300lb number was with a factory jack without the spare. so there you go .. Now I have to go outside and change the shifter cable that broke and left me stuck about 20 feet from th scale.

check your own weight at any scrap yard or truck stop .They DID charge mr $8.00 for the service.......

a guy on gbodyforum posted that. theres some more

elcamino814

Amateur Racer
Nov 21, 2009
Beecher,illinois
i havent weighed mine. its not done yet and theres a bunch of snow out here. but im very courious to see what it is.

here is another post too, seems REALLY light for a big block.

1984 elco
464 bbb stage 1
cast stage1 heads
kenne bell headers
9.5 3300stall bop th400 stage3
b4b intake with demn carb
m/t et street rears
goodyears up front
msd w/ msd pro billit dizzy
holly blue elec pump w regulator
moser g/n axles w/ 3.42 gears
2843 at the scales
Funny thing is my BBB is 50lbs lighter that the sbc

el meano

Amateur Racer
Jun 19, 2009
new haven CT
im satisfied then. 3157 with me at a truck stop on a certified cat scale gives me a bass line.

aluminum headed sbc, no heat or ps. stick car with buckets and draglites. exhaust dumped before the 7.5 rear (i know its going to explode)
i am however running a steel hood. that has to go. the rad support needs to be replaced with an iceman unit. and im not really sure why the front sway bar is still there....... battery box in bed, and a frame notch and a fully boxed in fuel cell cage constructed from HEAVY gauge steel........ that should keep the weight about where it is, and hopefully distribute it a bit more like a bu.

315 mt's should get the job done. man i got my work cut out for me for the next month.........

el meano

Amateur Racer
Jun 19, 2009
new haven CT
also the bbc elco # yeah_right_sign.gif i know ist not your car, but based on the info given i refuse to belive it. iron heads etc.... unless there have been other substantial weight reductions he didnt tell us.........

i should have 12's somewhere in my combo........i just need to find them

Double_Trouble

Amateur Racer
Jan 14, 2009
Quad Cities, Iowa
not sure what my car weighed but had a iron headed sbc trick springs up front with 90/10's and stock everything out back with 50/50's ans had a 15gal cell and batt. out back and would cut 2.0' short times on stock converter on a 275 mt d/r's 3.42 gear and hooked all the time.. went to a 3600 converter and cut 1.78 but hurt the trans on that pass and let out of it. even on the street after a good burn out i hooked ok on the 3600.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts