Guage swap problems

runneroad

Dec 7, 2011
Hoping somebody can help!! On my 8i el camino i did the swap from lights to guages. The problem i am having is when you start the car the tach goes directly to about six o'clock,shut it off and start it again does the same thing. Other guages are working fine.

The other problem is when you turn the lights on the right signal indicator on the dash lights up and the guages go dead until you turn the lights off. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
1st problem: I wouldn't be surprised if the tach needs repair, a lot of them go bad and will either read 0, read at an odd ratio (i.e. 1700rpm at 1000 actual rpm), or peg like yours does. It has to do with a reisitor "pack" (looks like a white i.c. chip) or capacitor, sometimes both. When the resistor opens, you get the pegged tach.

2nd problem: check your grounds, both in the wiring and in the printed circuit board (flimsy plastic with copper traces inside it). The problem with these 'boards' is they separate over the years, moisture gets in and the copper traces corrode. The fix is either hardwire the gauges (the studs on back of the gauges are threaded, I want to say #6?), or find a suitable replacement board.

runneroad

Dec 7, 2011
Thank You for the info. i will check those things. How many ground wires go above the ebrake han dle? i only have one right now.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts