Help Building Big Block

Malibu Monte

Frequent Racer
Bringing this back to life. I have the rotating assy back from the machine shop balanced and ready to go. Block will be ready tomorrow. I need to buy bearings and was wondering what brand/style you all would reconmend for my build?

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
I have had good luck with the Clevite ones. I have used them in all my engines. In fact the Nova 355 is is ready to be assembled with Clevite H series bearings.

Bar50

Pro Stocker
Jan 31, 2009
Tulsa, OK
bracketchev1221 said:
I have had good luck with the Clevite ones. I have used them in all my engines. In fact the Nova 355 is is ready to be assembled with Clevite H series bearings.

X2

Clevites are perfect!

Don't need any special oil pump, just a good one. Good deep sump pan too. I have run tons of sets of small rods with good bolts. The pistons will give up before the rods do. The 049 & 781 are the best open chamber heads period.

What compression ratio did you end up with?

Switch pitch, did you buy a stall from the Buick guys, say Poston or TA Performance? I am pretty sure they never came in Chevy cased TH400's.

Drag racing, go with a Victor-O, Team G, or Strip Dominator Tall. All around RPM Air-Gap.

I'd spring for a good oil pan & pick-up.

Then some Cal-Track bars.

Malibu Monte

Frequent Racer
Wow Bar50 you answered many questions that I asked and some I never asked. To answer yours, shortblock is built and I used clevite bearings. Compression should be around 12.5:1. Yes the torque convertor i got is not from a Chevy 400 it is from a 300 Super Turbine that I had Buckeye Precision in Ohio rebuild. 049 oval ports are done with undercut and swirl polish 2.19/1.88 Stainless valves, guidplates for 7/16 pushrods with ARP studs and some port work. I plan on purchasing a Weiand Team G intake because it matches my cam the best, second choice is the vic jr. Also getting a miloden pan,pump,and pickup.
P1100875.jpg

view of SRP domes
P1100860.jpg

Also it is no longer going in a Nova, it is going in the '78 Landau that is on the right in my sig.

Feb 17, 2010
Totally off subject, but congrats on having one of the most publicated malibus of recent. Saw it in Fastest Street Car and the new Chevy High Performance. Can't wait to see it it person sometime, looks perfect!!

Malibu Monte

Frequent Racer
Thanks dude I knew it was FSC but I didn't know it was CHP!!!

64chevelle

Weekend Racer
Dec 10, 2010
wichita ks
I am new here and was reading thru your build, I am also putting together a bbc right now. I stoopedandbought china..lol I purchased a eagle forged assembly with h beams. Putting together a 496. The head thing is a pain..I was gonna run a set of 990 gm heads well that deal fell thru so I am gonna purchase a set of procomp aluminum heads after much searching. I had read many bad things so I call this guy and he said he buys them bare and puts good part in them. So I feel your pain on the engine delimas. Good luck with your build!

Malibu Monte

Frequent Racer
Went to a swap meet today and found a Weiand Team G for $140, and some old school moroso gold valve covers for $35. Build is coming right along.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts