Help picking out new beefy rear end

Malibu Monte

Frequent Racer
There are so many options for rear ends for these cars I am lost trying to decide what I want so I thought I would enlist my good friends here at MR to help me out. I have about $1700 m/l to spend on this and want it to be good and hold up behind my big block forever. I have pretty much ruled out Moser due to the cost. Here are the options I have come up with so far.

1. J&D Performance A body 12 bolt. cut down to factory width with ford ends. 33 spline spool and my gear of choice. Aluminum rear cover and iceman arms. I have a core that I can ship him that will cut down my costs if I can get it shipped cheap enough. Barely in my budget

2. Quick performance Housing axle and brakes package. Then order parts from Summit to put in a ford case I have laying around (I am capable of setting it up myself). Haven't totaled up the parts for price

3. Order a rear complete from QP with either a ford case or moser case depending on price. also haven't totaled the price.

I don't know what I will do for brakes on any of these and also haven't picked a gear either. So I have a lot to think about. What do you all think?

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
I wanted a 12 bolt for my car, but the alxe guy I dealt with couldn't get a decent core in reasonable amount of time so he gave me a 9" for the same money. SInce you really can't see much of it past the gas tank, I'm not complaining & IMO I got a better rear end...

Tommy

Malibu Monte

Frequent Racer
Yeah I am not really worried about 12bolt/9" debate I just want to get the best rear end for my money.

Jaypaso

Amateur Racer
Jan 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
shop around the parts section or do a search for rearends. i got my 9 inch complete drum to drum (minus the actual drums and shoes) on here from blownbigblock. ( thanks again Art) for $1250 and about an hours drive. only had to spend an extra 120 for the drums , springs and shoes and its ready to run. so keep looking, there are alot of good people on here and somebody has what you need for your price. good luck!

Jaypaso

Amateur Racer
Jan 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
cw1228 has a 8.5 w 4.10 in it here (http://maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=103852&p=795062&hilit=rearend#p795062) for $750 and a whole car for $1700 check it out

Jaypaso

Amateur Racer
Jan 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
check this one $500 (http://www.racingjunk.com/category/35/Rear_Ends/post/2139956/nine-inch-rearend.html)
or this one complete w/disk brakes $1400 (http://www.racingjunk.com/category/70/Other/post/2115371/FORD-9-quot-REAREND.html) hope these will help

1980PontiacWagon

Frequent Racer
Feb 5, 2011
Northern Virginia
I like my QP 9"...but the passanger side leaks...Slimbo 5 started a thread and made a solution to it, but I didn't buy one of his seals...I wish i did..QP also sells a complete 11" drum kit for 300 bucks...I only bought the backing plates and drums and bought the rest from local parts store and saved some money...Just an FYI rear disks require a new master cylinder and perportioning valve or a way to hold residual pressure on the rear brakes.

Malibu Monte

Frequent Racer
What can you do when you order QP's rearend that prevents it from leaking without having to put Slimbos solution in? Request Moser housing ends?

1980PontiacWagon

Frequent Racer
Feb 5, 2011
Northern Virginia
No solution.. in a factory ford truck rear end there is a seal built in, but QP doesn't have that seal and claims you don't need it....but you do.. and when you call them they always say "it must be a torn or worn out O-ring." or something along those lines.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
1980PontiacWagon said:
No solution.. in a factory ford truck rear end there is a seal built in, but QP doesn't have that seal and claims you don't need it....but you do.. and when you call them they always say "it must be a torn or worn out O-ring." or something along those lines.

Hmm... QP also can't seem to figure how to set up their shock mount jig on their 9" rears, too... :-k I'm not flaming QP, just saying...

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts