Help picking out new beefy rear end

Jaypaso

Amateur Racer
Jan 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
member (greg) has a 9 in for $1200 on here

Malibu Monte

Frequent Racer
Yeah i pmed him. worried about the 1/2" narrow on each side. I have stock frame not notched and I wonder what that will do to my wheels and tires

Malibu Monte

Frequent Racer
I think I have decided on purchasing a moser M9 housing and axle package, for around 1000 and then buying the parts to build the center section myself through summit. The only problem with this is Moser says that you cannot use stock brakes and they want $380 for economy drum kit! Any ideas of what I can do for brakes that will be cheaper? Drums are fine.

Jaypaso

Amateur Racer
Jan 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
sounds good you will have to find a good deal on a center sectionas that can put you well over budget but we're all use to that

buwagon78

Amateur Racer
Dec 28, 2010
New albany, Indiana
I've got an M9 in my wagon and love it. Ordered it with the drum brakes for moser though. Rob:\Documents and Settings\patrol1\My Documents\My Pictures\2010-12-29 001\DSCN0415.jpg

1980PontiacWagon

Frequent Racer
Feb 5, 2011
Northern Virginia
quick performance sells a bolt on set of drums for 300+ S/H.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9-Ford-Bolt-On-11-Drum-Brake-Kit-9-Inch-Big-Ford-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem56435a6052QQitemZ370497183826QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Or you can build them yourself. What I did was I called up Quick Performance and talked to them, we worked out a deal where I just bought the drums and the backing plates..Ford 11" backing plate with 11" drum drilled for a CHEVY 5x4.75 bolt pattern.. bought pads and a hardwear kit at my local parts store...the one part that took me about a month to find is the bar that holds the shoes apart right below the wheel cylinder..when I looked I couldn't find it online, ended up driving a few miles out to a junk yard and taking them off an old ford truck...but your in luck, I found them on Ebay for dirt cheap.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-Drum-Brake-Bar-FORD-11-LH-Rear-Drum-Brakes-21131-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5d2e22b828QQitemZ400205985832QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I think by doing it myself i saved 50-100 bucks

art

Amateur Racer
Aug 8, 2008
Mastic, New York 11950
That "bar" is called a parking brake link (i always called them balance bars). Lee or Raybestos should be able to get you a new one if you ever need one.
http://www.fordification.com/tech/images/schematics/brakes01.jpg
Most ford braking systems are based on the Bendix drum brake. (Chrysler products too)

pl235c

Amateur Racer
Apr 16, 2007
wichita kansas
PUT A STRANGE S60 IN IT!!!!!!! I went with the moser m9 also, and I am super happy with the quality although its still not in the car, (nice welds and everything appears to be square. I am completely starting from scratch on the brakes for the whole car it should go by june $$$$$$$$$). I called strange engineering a week ago and the tech guy said they quit making the S60 for about a year and a half, and around a year ago had enough demand to start making them again. They have a 9.75 ring gear and come stock with 35 spline axles, best of all you can get one with a spool for under 2k or with a differential for a bit more. I have nearly 3500 in my M9 with brakes and from what I can tell the only advantage is the fact that you can swap gear ratios much quicker and easier. However the S60's nodular iron housing would be stronger than the fords sheetmetal housing IMO.

I would say the S60 is the best bang for your buck by far, my 2 door is getting one as soon as the funds roll in. 8)

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts