How to hook up a vacuum canister to a manifold vacuum ran engine?

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
I have ab350 ci engine and would like to know how to hook up the vacuum canister to it. How do I get it accomplished?
just to be sure,a vac canister to aid in brake vacuum capacity? or how to hook up for the vacuum advance from the distributor ?

Last edited:

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
Right now it's just going to the fuel tank to vent it. My wife smells gas in the car when it's running. I wanted to connect it to get rid of that issues. The car is running at 17 * advance. Thank you for your help.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
Right now it's just going to the fuel tank to vent it. My wife smells gas in the car when it's running. I wanted to connect it to get rid of that issues. The car is running at 17 * advance. Thank you for your help.
so you want to know how to vent the fuel tank to the engine to get rid of a fuel smell?

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
My thinking may be wrong here. The fuel tank is venting well now with the canister connected to the tank. We are getting the fuel smell only when it's running. I was hoping that hooking it up would get rid of the fuel smell when it's running. I appreciate your help. Thank you.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
Here is a picture of the canister.
Is there a way to connect it to get rid of the fuel smell? I realiothat some of the fittings may need to be blocked off.
IMG_20210531_123926842.jpg

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
If you still have the emissions sticker on the radiator shroud, it shows the vacuum line routing. It is the vapor canister that you want to connect to. The hose already connected is the tank vent line. You are missing the lines that evacuate the fumes from the canister to the carb/intake.

My 1978 Service manual doesn't have a picture. The parts book is lacking the detail in the exploded view.

I can tell you how the 1987 305G canister is connected. Let me know if it will help and I can take some pictures, later.

Reactions: 78elk

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
Thank you Marc. The canister is for a 305. This is a 350. Running on manifold vacuum. Would there need be a special way to connect it due to the manifold vacuum?

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
I looked at mine and it cannot compare to yours; it is far too complicated. I also can't take off the air cleaner because it is currently a shelf for the parts I removed to take off the fender.

However, I did find the next best thing:

The picture in the first post shows a simple routing for a 305 with the 5-port canister that you have.

Reactions: 78elk

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!