I have no idea about alcohol. What would I need to convert?

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL
Re: I have no idea about alcohol. What would I need to conv

True story Doug. It's just that the driver is not always flawless. :D

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa

Well, thanks for the help. I really don't know what to do. Like was said, if the carb builder says belt pump, that will always be an issue. And of course, he told me that Lee's combo WOULD work as is, but mine is just too close to RELIABLY run with what I have. I still have a call in Ken Jones, and trying to contact George Rupert to see what they say about it. I thought this would be much easier.

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL

I would never override the advice of the experts, I just know what works for me.

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa

And like he said, your combo is perfect for it. Your 100% right in your info. Mine is turning into an expensive ordeal. Though he did say that once his customers got it sorted out, almost none went back to gasoline. I don't go that much, maybe 5-6 times a year. So maybe q16 at a few dollars more a gallon might be the trick compared to several thousand to convert. I'm kinda bummed that it is so much. If I was building a car from scratch, it would be worth it.

80superbu

Pro Stocker
Oct 2, 2005
Colorado springs, CO

I think you need to look elsewhere for a carb guy. Switching to alky will cost a few hundred, not thousand. It's a carb swap. If they are telling you otherwise then they are just trying to line their pockets

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa

Unfortunately I have to disagree there. 3 people have told me I need a mechanical pump. One told me to go mechanical and not screw around, another told me that I was right on the edge for an electric, but since I was running 1/4 mile, a mechanical would be best. Finally CFM carbs, who is very respected in carb building said mechanical. And he spelled out Lee's combo to a T for the parts he is using and that they would work fine. A mechanical pump, brackets, and carb rebuild will get me up over $2000 easily. Not to mention forward fuel cell, and new plumbing.

80superbu

Pro Stocker
Oct 2, 2005
Colorado springs, CO

That's totally your call to spend your money. I know too many people running alcohol using a plain old Holley blue pump from a fuel cell in the trunk and have no issues running 8-9 second 1/4 miles year after year. You say they are respected in the business, I say they are trying to seel you stuff you don't need.

out

Doug Keen

Pro Stocker
May 22, 2003
Central, Illinois

Hey, I use Q16 I feel your pain. My car isn't much faster now than Lee, and if I hadn't witnessed the performance increase he saw I would have called B.S. If you already have a 9.0-9.20 car I doubt you would see the type of gain he did. The lower engine temps would be the biggest plus to help turn the car around for another hit. If I were building a car from scratch, I would probably set it up with a front mount cell and a belt drive. Gas or Alky. 15' of -10 hose isn't cheap or light weight no matter how you slice it. I explored doing a front mount cell in mine years ago, but it was too much of a PITA with a "stock" front end and engine bay.

Hitman

Dragway Regular
Oct 15, 2004
OKC

The alky won't pick your car up much. It picks up slower cars a lot, and the faster you get the less it helps. My dragster ran the same on gas and alcohol.

If you only race 5 or 6 times a year, and are worried about cooling it, buy a bug sprayer and stay busy between rounds.

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa

Hitman said:
The alky won't pick your car up much. It picks up slower cars a lot, and the faster you get the less it helps. My dragster ran the same on gas and alcohol.

If you only race 5 or 6 times a year, and are worried about cooling it, buy a bug sprayer and stay busy between rounds.

It was more a project to see if I could get the car into the 8's. It has gone 9.08 So I thought MAYBE alcohol would make a little more power to get there. But like was said above, I have no room for a front mounted cell. At my track, there are almost NO stock front end door cars going as fast as I am. Super Pro is all dragsters, and the cars going low 9's high 8's are glass nose, tube chassis cars. One guy that did it, has a 57 and the front of his engine compartment is HUGE.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!