Improved geometry centerlink

James Bond

Dragway Regular
Dec 26, 2005
Earth
Anybody run one of these?

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/AFCO-Metric-Improved-Geometry-Centerlink,48370.html

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
i had no idea excessive toe out was an issue.hey james thanks for all the advise on rear suspension a while back you layed a bunch of info on me when i was shopping around.

scomp890

Daily Driver
Jun 2, 2010
Ontario Canada
I like it...
I will have to add this to my list of parts.
It looks like they move the mounting point for the inner tie rods out, and down a bit.
Can anyone confirm?

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
It may help with stock front end parts, but it'll make bumpsteer worse with B-body spindles. The bumpsteer issue with B-body spindles is the inner tie rod ends are too high to begin with, so moving them outboard more will increase that angle, not decrease it.

Tommy

Tony_SS

MalibuRacing Junkie
Apr 21, 2004
Washington, MO
www.mac-ink.com
Looks like its on backorder. Here's the one review:

By mike from new berlin, illinois on 12/16/2010
Pros:
To help front geometry
Cons:
Must shorten tie rods
Best Uses:
Racing
Bottom Line: Yes, I would recommend this to a friend

installed product but have not raced with it yet. has good reviews from other racers

5-door

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 23, 2004
Cottage Grove, MN
www.jtraceshop.com
Basically what you want to do is get the inner tie-rod pivot point to line up with the lower control arm pivot point. This drag link moves the inner tie-rod pivot point to where it needs to be. This is the same thing that our TNT rack kit does. My car now has zero bumpsteer, even with nearly 9 inches of suspension travel. In most cases, if you can get down to even 1/2" of bump steer, you're doing pretty good. The drag link that Speedway sells would definitely be a good improvement for someone who doesn't want to spend the money on a rack and installing it.

James Bond

Dragway Regular
Dec 26, 2005
Earth
thanks for replies. i was looking for speedway's bumpsteer items and stumbled on the centerlink. my car now, with factory front end parts, sits about 1/2" off the lca bumpstop. at full droop, about 7" down, i see several inches of toe in. my car holds the front end in full droop for while after launching and it looks real nasty.

5-door

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 23, 2004
Cottage Grove, MN
www.jtraceshop.com
James Bond said:
thanks for replies. i was looking for speedway's bumpsteer items and stumbled on the centerlink. my car now, with factory front end parts, sits about 1/2" off the lca bumpstop. at full droop, about 7" down, i see several inches of toe in. my car holds the front end in full droop for while after launching and it looks real nasty.
I would try the centerlink along with the bump steer kit that Speedway offers. Their bumpsteer kit consists of two 5/8" heim joints that replace the outer tie-rods, two threaded adjuster tubes that replace your factory tie-rod adjusters and two adapter bolts that attach to the spindle that the 5/8" heims slide onto. However, I wouldn't use the adapters. When I ran that setup on my wagon, I still couldn't get the outer heims high enough to eliminate my bump steer. I ended up straight drilled my spindle knuckle to accept a long 5/8" bolt for the heim to attach to. Doing this gives you an extra 3/4" of upward adjustment on the outer tie-rod heim. I ended up with the heim all the way up against the spindle knuckle. After all was said and done, I had 3/16" bump steer. 1/8" toe-in at ride height and 5/16" at full extension.

I should also mention that this was accomplished with a stock centerlink and not the centerlink you posted above. So, maybe with the centerlink you posted, you may be able to achieve zero bump steer.

5-door

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 23, 2004
Cottage Grove, MN
www.jtraceshop.com
Or you could just buy a TNT rack kit and be done with it. LoL!

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
So I assume you can't use the stock tie rods with this and will have to cut and weld to get it to align? Would you see any benefit with this on a street car? Noticeable difference?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts