LSX with T56 ?'s

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
To those that have or are doing a LSX swap w/a T56, Any hard lessons learned? Things you'd different a second time around? I've been contemplating this for quite some time, but cost was always a factor. Would it be easier/cheaper to just get a drop out "kit" from a Camaro/Firebird to get both? I would rather have a 6.0L, but it seems if you buy the engine, then try to buy all the 6spd stuff, it's way more than just a 5.7 with the trans already attached. I'm not looking for max hp, just reliability, mpg, fun factor, ease of install, and cost. I know, I want my cake and to eat it too!

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com
I think I can give ya some advice here.

I have an aftermarket T56 which is different from an LS1 T56. Its more like a T5 or TKO or Muncie, etc in terms of bolting up to the engine. This route requires a special $400 Mccleod flywheel, and a special Mccleod pilot bushing, but you can use damn near any bellhousing you want and a 26 spline clutch, etc. There is one bolt that isnt drilled/tapped, but a lot of people run without it. I MIGHT tap mine if I am feeling up to it, but honestly probably wont.

The other route is the LS1 T56 which you can use an OEM flywheel and OEM clutch components. I cant think of any difference between a 6.0 and an LS1 in terms of bolting an LS1 style T56 up to them.

Ill take a wild guess and say that cost wise it might be cheaper to pick up a 6.0 w/o trans and then grab a T56 later. LS1's always bring a premium and I honestly dont care about the 100lbs or whatever weight savings. The extra cubes of the 6.0 nullifies that for me. And you can put L92 heads with big valves on a 6.0, but cant put those on a LS1 because of the bore size.

BMR Sales

Frequent Racer
Nov 20, 2008
Good info, I was looking around for a t56 and didnt know weather to go with an LSx style or go aftermarket but now I will look for an LSx t56 to be able to use stock stuff, Thanks!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts