Mechanical fan removal question

malibuandy

Weekend Racer
Jan 6, 2008
Toronto ON Canada
It is right hand thread. I work at a gm dealer and have never seen left hand thread on an LS waterpump. If you don't have access to the special tools, use an air chisel on the nut and it will come off.

knievel

Amateur Racer
Aug 5, 2007
Hillsdale , MI
I personally removed my fan off of a 2000 6.0 LQ4 yesterday and it was a standard
righty tighty/lefty loosy thread

I stopped in and borrowed the tools at my local dealer
a spanner type wrench goes into two holes in the pulley and a "crows foot" wrench/ 1/2" drive ratchet for that

It broke free fairly easy

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
It's funny that this was revived, because I am definitely going to need to remove it. It looks like I've got to go the electric fan route. The plumbing of the upper radiator hose, cold air intake and the addition of the A/C on the passenger side head will prevent me from using the mechanical fan. It is taking up way too much space at the front of the engine. ](*,)

Just another additional cost. :-({|=

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
Hmmm.... Wonder if you can get that spanner wrench as a loaner from Autozone or somewhere like that? Guess I need to call and see.

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
What fans are you going to be using? Is it part of the wiring harness that you picked up? I know mines not, so I've got to talk to the guy about putting it in there...but i've gotta figure out what one to use...darned this building on a budget...but so far i'm almost 1k ahead of where I wanted to be so =D> \:D/ oh, and thank you for that kit, it'll be really helpful!

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
No, it's not part of the harness. But, you may be able to get Jesse to put something in for you.

I haven't decided yet on which fan(s). I will probably go to a local junkyard and find something.

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
Finally got the mechanincal fan removed.

fan_removed_640.jpg

You should see the Rube Goldberg spanner wrench used that I fabricated to help remove it. I'm embarrassed to post pictures of it. But, it was free and I made it out of junk lying around. It's amazing what you can build with a die grinder with a cut-off wheel and a welder! :lol:

What are some "budget" electric fan setups that will work (keep it cool)? I've been told to check out the Taurus fans. Will F-body fans fit and work OK? Anything else?

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
I've got one from a Ford Escape V6 that will lift itself off the floor when both fans are running, It seems to be the correct size, But I have'nt tried installing it yet to know for sure. I do know it moves more than enough air :lol:

85MonteCoupe

Daily Driver
Dec 30, 2008
Columbus, Indiana
I took the fan off my 6.0 tonight and found a real quick and easy way to get it off. Take a set of vice grips and grab on the back of the pulley, up against the water pump, that will hold the pulley so you don't need two people. Then I just put a cresent wrench on the nut and whacked it with a rubber mallet. After 4 hits it came loose and I was able to spin the fan off.
Not trying to hijack, but here are some pics below. Might help people in the future.
MonteCarlo012.jpg

I held the mallet to show the direction to hit the wrench.
MonteCarlo014.jpg

MonteCarlo015.jpg

Later,
Jason W.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts