My Manual brakes Are Horrible...Help

GreenDragginBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 10, 2003
N.E. Ohio
Ok guys, as most of the guys that have been on the board a fews years may recall, I have had nothing but problems with these.

Ok It all started when I did the first manual brake swap(before there was a aftermarket kit). I did the cnc cut plate and a factory malibu manual master cyl. removed prop valve, and installed a T-fitting for the fronts. Moved the rod to upper hoe.yadda,yada,yadda..

They sucked were horrible. So another new master, same deal brakes sucked. bought a S-10 manual master put it on same thing horrible braking. Changed pads, new complete ford drum brake kit on rear..still same. Bought new calipers,new rotors, new pads again, still the same.

Bought the TRZ kit figuring my woes were over......... :lol: Right I have had that kit on over a year, and my brakes still suck. No way would i consider let anyone else drive the car cause unless your a bear sized individual like me...it wont stop.

So all new brakes front to rear.. Hard lines and the flex lines as well. ive run at least 3 qts of brake fluid through it. vacuum,gravity, AND pressure bleed them as well.

It all started after the very first initial swap. So what do you guys think?? Oh i do the residual valve on the rear also.

The only thing that has stayed on the car since i did the first swap was the brass T-fitting.

toxicbu

Frequent Racer
Feb 25, 2009
romeoville il
I allso picked up a malibu manu master , did the residual also and tryed it out lil better but not good enuf for me , I said fug it and went back to the factory power brakes / with a vac canister. atleast now i have some brakes. GOOD LUCK

GreenDragginBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 10, 2003
N.E. Ohio
Yeah, I have considered going back to power assist. Cause as it stands now, I dont trust it in a panic stop situation. I guess i could pull of the brass T-fitting and see maybe if the lines(flare) somehow crushed inside the "T" restricting flow.

toxicbu

Frequent Racer
Feb 25, 2009
romeoville il
GreenDragginBu said:
Yeah, I have considered going back to power assist. Cause as it stands now, I dont trust it in a panic stop situation. I guess i could pull of the brass T-fitting and see maybe if the lines(flare) somehow crushed inside the "T" restricting flow.
mabe we did something wrong . i did not fill like going back and forth with it.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
You say no brakes, But do you mean low pedal, or the pedal is there but car just wont stop?

GreenDragginBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 10, 2003
N.E. Ohio
pedal is there, just not enough stopping power. i can push through them(front brakes) with minimal effort.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
I know you said you replaced alot of parts, what shape/brand are the front pads and rotors? Were the pads replaced and not the rotors, or were the rotors not turned when the pads were installed? same on the rear brakes. Sounds like they are glazed, or the master cylinder bore is too small and cant move enough fluid to move the caliper pistons far enough to really bite.

GreenDragginBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 10, 2003
N.E. Ohio
Yeah I replaced every piece, even the brake hose clips are new.. :lol:

The rears are the ford 11" drum kit bought new from Quick performance.

The fronts are autozone duralast gold pads, and new autozone duralast rotors.

The old rotors only had 60K miles on them, and i put 2 different sets of pads on them to try and solve the braking issue.

But, like i mentioned before the stumping part is this all began when I did the first manual brake swap. and thats why everything is new now in the brakes system. I replaced everything to try and track it down. I figured the steel concepts kit was the "fix" , But it remains the same. :(

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Have you tried moving the pushrod back to where it was just for the heck of it? I'm wondering if more throw may help you. :-k

GreenDragginBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 10, 2003
N.E. Ohio
StreetBu said:
Have you tried moving the pushrod back to where it was just for the heck of it? I'm wondering if more throw may help you. :-k

Yeah I drilled the hole on the pedal, per Steel concepts instructions. then for chit and giggles i tried the upper factory manual brake hole on the pedal. Brakes the same either way, only difference is with the rod to the factory manual spot the pedal softens up a very little. with it in the drilled hole it is very firm.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts