New guy 79 factory 4 speed wagon.

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
I hear that. I oil spray my 2006 GMC pickup every fall. I have a 97 dodge diesel that I absolutely love and noticed a small rust hole in the frame 2 years ago. Had it patched but it’s only a matter of time. I learned the hard way about rust with my dodge and my previous GMC so I’m trying to prevent it as much as possible on my current truck. I came across another low mile 97 dodge diesel that needs some work but the frame is immaculate so I’m slowly piecing that together on the side too. I don’t care how old it is, no car payment is nice

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
DCABAC67-FA18-497F-9D48-9BA887FED795.jpeg

Found this in the envelope of receipts the other night. I found a cam card for the original cam that was replaced then I found this receipt from 2002 which would make sense after putting the 9 inch with 4.56 in the car but this paper says it’s a hydraulic flat tappet cam. My brother, one of our buddies, and myself all swore we remember it being a solid lifter cam. My dad said he thought it was some kind of hydraulic cam. Like I stated, after the 456 went in I remember everyone saying “there’s not enough cam” so we put a bigger one (assume it’s this one) in, put the victor junior intake on, and went from a 600 cfm demon carb to a 650 Holley. Also I remember putting on a two piece timing cover at that time. My brother said there’s a way he would be able to tell if it’s a hydraulic vs solid lifter cam that’s in the engine without taking everything apart so I hope that’s the case. I mostly wanted so info to adjust the valves still assuming it was a solid lifter because I thought that was something you had to do fairly regularly on a solid lifter motor. Lol this is the problem with letting these things sit for 20 years and not paying attention to them. Around this time my brother bought an immaculate 85 regal off of my aunt and did a small block Chevy swap with a turbo 400 so maybe it could be the cam he used but I highly doubt it because my dad wouldn’t have saved it. My brother still has the regal today but hasn’t had time for it in years with his family and now trying to run a business. It’s got a .040 over roller motor and he put vortec heads on it back around this time and a serpentine belt set up from a 4.3 on and immediately blew the 7.5 rear up. My boss has an Eddie Bauer explorer that’s been blown up for 10 years and my brother wants the 8.8 out of it for his regal. One of these days hopefully he’ll have it towed to the shop to start cutting it up.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
I guess you'll have to look through the receipts and look for cam part numbers and dates to know exactly what you have.

If you take off 1 rocker arm and remove the pushrod, you could insert an endoscope in the pushrod hole and look at the top of the lifter. If you see a snap ring or clip, it is a hydraulic lifter. If you have a solid lifter, measure the lash of the other valves and set the lash of the one you took apart to the same lash.

If you have a 2-piece timing cover, you could remove the top half, remove the cam timing gear, and pray there is a part number on the front of the cam (the part number may be in the rear of the cam, so the effort may not be fruitful).

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
A couple years back I replaced all 6 valve cover gaskets on my dodge and my brother walked me through adjusting the 12 valves in the old straight 6 at 250k miles. Coming up on 300k now. I can remember watching him adjust all 32 valves in his duramax when we replaced the injectors in it some years ago. Luckily with my current duramax if the injectors ever go bad I don’t have to pull the valve covers like he did to replace them.

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
E058710D-4663-4D59-9684-41785A7198E5.jpeg
B6903D15-2803-4117-A706-FB5F1F068A8E.jpeg
D297C229-D182-4CDC-92A1-6F2EB5290AF8.jpeg

This is the spare steering column my dad has in his basement. Going to take it to the shop so my brother can look it over I guess

78Maliburacer

Amateur Racer
May 22, 2003
South Jersey

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
Yep, I’ve got your thread saved for if/when the swap actually gets rolling. My fuel line should be here tomorrow so I can put the new tank in once and for all and run the new line to the new mechanical pump. After that and the steering column gets back together we’ll start experimenting with the trans. I’m keeping your shifter in mind.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!