New guy 79 factory 4 speed wagon.

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
One of my best friends just told me he bought a 06 GTO LS2/t56 car last night so I pretty much have to buy heads now……at least I’m telling myself that lol

malibu795

Pro Stocker
Apr 17, 2005
spgfd ohio
One of my best friends just told me he bought a 06 GTO LS2/t56 car last night so I pretty much have to buy heads now……at least I’m telling myself that lol
I got some big blocks Chevy's 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: Mighty

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
Lol my brothers had a (I believe) .060 over 454 for years. It came out of his boss’ nitrous tube chassis car. O-ringed block. Has the crank, a set of pistons, single plane intake, and a ridiculous set of aluminum heads for it and fuel injection with some kind of FASS electronics. He bought it 15 or so years ago when his boss switched to a twin 98 500 inch motor. We threw around the idea of putting it together long ago and putting it in the wagon but that thing would’ve been way too much for me and a ton of work. I’ve always wanted to find an old L78 396 but those things are outrageous in price. He planned on putting it in his 85 regal. The regal has a .040 roller small block with vortec heads and a turbo 400 with a brake. It’s been sitting with a broken 7.5 rearend for almost as long as the wagon has lol. He’s got a stock pile of LS engines/parts sitting around his shop now too. My boss has had a blown up Eddie Bauer early 00’s explorer sitting in out lot for a long time. He’d probably give it to my brother. He’s been talking about getting it up to the shop and snatching the 8.8 for his regal since I’ve been screwing around with the wagon but just doesn’t really have much free time.

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
Welp still no steering column so no updates. No big deal it might as well be winter already. I sold the old super t10 that needed rebuilt and got rid of some other stuff and decided with the extra money to just bite the bullet now and ordered a set of 195cc AFR eliminator street heads. They were on $200 off and free shipping but I couldn’t believe how expensive small block Chevy heads are these days. Sure I could’ve just gotten some budget friendly heads but I don’t plan on getting rid of the car and it’s been sitting for far too long so I wanted to give it a little extra love. That and make it as fun as possible to cruise around in with my old man. I’d also like to be able to keep up with his 68 big block coronet if he ever gets it going….. I do have 2 questions though. The car has obviously just been sitting inside the shop taking up a rack. The two other racks are occupied so my brother decided to raise the wagon up and pull another customers car in under it partially to change a blower motor. He pointed out two wet spots on the floor from new new transmission. Seems like there’s a drip from the drain plug which he said he could probably take care of and a drip coming from the gasket pictured below. The spot is only about the size of a quarter but the floor wasn’t wet any longer like it was below the drain plug. I put a socket on the bolt but couldn’t tighten it any more but you can still kind of see some fluid. How worried should I be here? Also, I would really like to put the front fender wells back in the car if possible. Does anyone know if there’s a hardware kit that comes with all the clips and screws to do it? I’m going to get some new head bolts ordered along with all the gaskets and 8 1.6 rockers for the intake valves. It’s been sitting for over 20 years so another 6-7 months won’t kill me I guess but when the weather gets nice next spring, I want to be ready to go!
IMG_7462.jpeg
IMG_7473.jpeg

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Was the transmission shipped with fluid? If not, remove the fill plug, thoroughly clean plug and female threads, and then reinsert plug with sealant.

I suggest sending pictures to Richmond for their thoughts on the leak at the mid plate. If they screwed up during assembly (bad gasket, defect in machined surface), it is better they know now than when you take it apart next year after your warranty has ended.

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
No that’s some of that $25 a quart Richmond fluid (GL4??) that I bought and put it in lol. God I’d really hate to have to take that transmission out and ship it back but I also don’t want it to blow either. You’re right though, I’ll just give them a call or email and see what they say I guess

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
Going to start collecting parts for this job now. Gaskets, bolts, etc. the car currently has a hydraulic flat tappet cam in it so they had to swap springs out for me. It’s currently set up for .550 max lift. My cam is .519 I believe and I was really considering putting 1.6 rockers on the intake valves but then it’ll be right at the limit so I’ve gotta do some research. Plus I have to see if I need new push rods etc. but I have all winter now to worry about it. The heads are the last thing in doing and I mean it this time!! Hopefully come spring my old man and I can get out to some car shows and have some big grins during the trip. The heads are 195cc eliminator street heads. All the cnc porting 2.05 intake valves and 1.60 exhaust. They’re replacing some cast iron world product SR torquer heads. I’d love to be around 330-350 hp at the wheels

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts