new rear axle is in!!!

79 surfwagon

Frequent Racer
Jun 26, 2006
Texas
I finally got my new rear axle assembly installed today. Here's what I did:
1. got an old salvage G body axle housing for free
2. cleaned and painted it
3. got a posi carrier out of 3rd gen camaro... it was the 2 series carrer. This was left over from my IROC i had in college.
4. got a 3.42:1 ring and pinion off ebay for $30
5. bought a spacer to make the 3 series gear work in the 2 series carrier.
6. got all new bearings and seals and set up the ring and pinion in the G body housing.
7. replaced all brake harware, lines, shoes, and wheel cylinders.
8. got my aluminum drums from the IROC polished.
9. Sphon upper control arms.
10. replaced the upper carrier bushings for the upper control arms. and all four lower control arm bushings; with new shocks.

The end result is an essentially "new" hub to hub bolt in housing for the wagon. My Dad helped with the swap. We took out the lower control arms first off the car. While I did the rest of the disassembly, my Dad boxed the lowers and pressed in the new bushings.

This first pic is the original 2.41 housing:

001.jpg

The original 2.41 housing from the front of the car:

002-1.jpg

Here is the refurbished 3.42 posi housing installed. New shocks, arp studs on the dif cover, new brake lines and polished aluminum drums:

003-1.jpg

... and the 3.42 housing from the front of the car with the sphons installed:

004-1.jpg

After bleeding the brakes and a spin around the block I must say the 3.42 makes the stock 305 really responsive when compared to the 2.41 gear. WOW it is sooo much easier to leave a stop sign or stop light. Did you notice my original GM single exhaust!

Next weekend a trip to the track to see how much the 3.42:1 gear shaved off the original 18.40 @74mph (totally stock 305/th350/2.41:1 gear). I think the next upgrade will be headers and duals.

I'm going to be making a brake post in the brake forum becaue i think my master cylinder bit the dust when we were bleeding the brakes. I'd like to hear your opinions. Fire away if you have any questions. i'd love to help if i can.

79 surfwagon

Frequent Racer
Jun 26, 2006
Texas
here's another shot of the old crusty 2.41 housing in the foreground and the 3.42 installed with Dad torquing down the driver rear wheel:

005-1.jpg

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
if i can make one suggestion, upgrade the driveshaft. i've seen 3 of my buddy's twist the stock driveshafts. makes a heII of a mess when they break

79 surfwagon

Frequent Racer
Jun 26, 2006
Texas
Okay. I will upgrade the driveshaft. I was planning on front AND rear hoops.

What kind of drive shaft do I upgrade it with? I know a shop that can shorten and balance driveshafts. Do i get one from the yard on an OE vehicle and have it modified to fit? IE correct length and U Joint fittings/upgrades.

Do i need to get an aftermarket made of special material?

Presently the car has a completely stock 305... even the exhaust. Plans are to keep the car a daily driver. Probably no more that 500 lb/ft and only to the strip to test/measure increases from previous on any modifications I make.

79 surfwagon

Frequent Racer
Jun 26, 2006
Texas
Doober said:
My guess is somewhere in the 16-second range.
Doober, If I can get two full seconds from this gear change i will be very impressed.

The present 18.40 is nothing at all spectacular. But, that means i have lots of room for improvement!

Barry 85 SS

Frequent Racer
Aug 8, 2005
Newport News, Va
Not saying it wouldn't be a good idea to get a better driveshaft, but I used my stock one with a 383 for quite a while without any problems, including a few passes in the low 13's and high 12's at the drag strip. I changed it to a chrome moly one from Strange Engineering when I put the big block in.

A

Anonymous

my dad runs 10flat and some 9.90s with a transbreak and 295 10.5 15 et drags with a stock driveshaft. been doing it oer 12 years now. as long as your u joints are good, and the shaft is balanced, you wont have any problems. unless you have a 1000 rwhp 305. :D

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
i got one out of a 81 chev pick up. when i had the driveshaft cut down, i used one of the ends off the old one that they welded on the new one so i could still use the proper u-joints.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!