Patriot vortec heads, anygood?

A

Anonymous

I was thinking of useing some of my tax money to get some new heads for my tow rig (87 1/2ton 4wd chevy)
but i don't know anything about Patriot heads other than the price is right, any body use em?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Patriot-Sbc-Vortec-Cylinder-Heads-185cc-Assembled-New_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1171Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1308Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a2Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem200300727015QQitemZ200300727015QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Excelerater

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 22, 2003
Memphis,TN
Made in China
Edelbrock ripoffs

you get what you pay for......IF I were to buy a set for a mild street car
Id buy them bare and assemble with US parts and a real valvejob

A

Anonymous

Excelerater said:
Made in China
Edelbrock ripoffs

you get what you pay for......IF I were to buy a set for a mild street car
Id buy them bare and assemble with US parts and a real valvejob

thanks for the heads up, i wanted a good cheap iron head and was looking into RHS heads when i came across these for $300 cheaper (now i know why). i also wanted to stay away for stock votec castings because my machinest says they are bad about cracking.

any sugestions for a cheap small runner head?

Thanx
-Asa

79 surfwagon

Frequent Racer
Jun 26, 2006
Texas
for cheap small runner heads, i don't think you can beat the GM vortecs. They do crack, but this is when they overheat. i know you are building/just built that new tow motor and vortecs would work great with that combo. As long as you have a good reliable cooling system in the vehicle cracking shouldn't be a concern on the vortecs. I think now you can pick up a set of "guaranteed rebuildable" locally around here for $200 or less.

Another option would be the Dart S/S heads. i think those have 165cc runners and you can pick them up for around $600 assembled, plus shipping.

A third option would be finding a set of old L98 corvette heads off the 87-91 vette and on the zz4 crate motor. These are not as good as vortecs out of the box, but with bowl clean-up and a good valve job they are comparable. Plus you get the weight savings of aluminum and higher compression with the 58cc chambers. These sell on e-bay and craigs list for about $300-$400 used. i think the runners are less than 160cc.

Just my $.02 on some options for ya

A

Anonymous

thanx for the replys, i'm leaning toward what excelerater sugested, i can get a bare set of patriots for $279 with
screw in studs, large spring pockets, both vortec and carburetored intakes, center bolt or perimeter bolt valve covers, and improved intake and exhaust runners. i don't get my refund until friday so i have a week to think about it, the china thing is still buging me :-k

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I have an article where they tested several as-cast Vortec style heads (GM and Edelbrock were in the lineup with a few others), and they all made nearly identical power. If you're interested I could try to find the article.

A

Anonymous

Doober said:
I have an article where they tested several as-cast Vortec style heads (GM and Edelbrock were in the lineup with a few others), and they all made nearly identical power. If you're interested I could try to find the article.

sure, sounds like a good read, but the main reason i'm looking at aftermarkit heads is not power it is that the stock castings are week, and with alot of the aftermarkit heads a you can use old style intake or a votec, centerblot or old style valve covers, come with screw in studs, and no valve guide problems

for $279 you can get a set of bare patriot heads or for $460 you can get the much nicer bare RHS heads

if you can find the article i would like to give it a read

thanx-
Asa

A

Anonymous

i never ran the vortec heads but im running the big block patriot heads and bought them bare and built them,

A

Anonymous

roughskinjrz said:
i never ran the vortec heads but im running the big block patriot heads and bought them bare and built them,

how was the fit and finish, over all quality?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts