Patriot vortec heads, anygood?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
That article in the July '05 issue of CHP. "King Vortec"
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/148_0507_street_style_vortec_head_test/index.html

A

Anonymous

I was under the impression that the Patriot heads were just casted overseas and then shipped to the US where they assemble them at their headquarters.

I still like just stock vortecs for the sake of saving a few bucks.

ILLEGAL REGAL

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jan 1, 2005
Tinley Park,IL
or buy the bigger port vortech heads.. they're in summit complete for like $579.. best bang for the buck since if you're buying bare you still gotta buy valves, springs, locks, retainers, and seals. Not to mention pay to have them assembled and a valve job. I'd bet by the time you bought them bare and got them together you'd have close to $800 into them

A

Anonymous

i guess i should have put this in my first post #-o here is what i'm working with

truck is a 87 1/2 ton chevy 4wd with a sm465 granny 4 speed

Combo:

.40 flat tops

fresh stock 87 '193 truck heads (swirl ports) with all new valves and springs

CAM (i was hoping to use the stock springs)
Duration Advertised 278° Intake/288° Exhaust
Duration @ .050'' 204° Intake/214° Exhaust
Lift @ Valve .420'' Intake/.442'' Exhaust
Lift @ Cam .280'' Intake/.295'' Exhaust
Lobe Separation Angle 112°
Intake Centerline 107°
Intake Timing @ .050" Open 5° ATDC
Close 29° ABDC
Exhaust Timing @ .050" Open 44° BBDC
Close 10° BTDC

Edelbrock performer intake

Holley 650 spread bore mech secondays

long tube headers

pretty much everything else is stock

-Asa

A

Anonymous

sleeperbu said:
roughskinjrz said:
i never ran the vortec heads but im running the big block patriot heads and bought them bare and built them,

how was the fit and finish, over all quality?

they looks amazing, but i used top quality parts.... titanium retainers, severe duty valves, arp studs, comp cam springs, comp cam guide plates, etc they work good cuz the motor made over 815 horsepower with 1 7/8" headers and a bad tune. once its in the car i will dyno it again and will be using 2" headers.

Blackwizard22

Frequent Racer
Feb 26, 2007
NJ
Patriot makes decent stuff, a lot of the LS1 crowd uses their heads with great results. The dual bolt pattern intake is a nice feature but it always seems you have to run the vortec style intake anyway cuz of the mating angle of the standard intake.

maliblu

Frequent Racer
Oct 4, 2003
Warren, MI
I heard the same about Patriot heads, they are casted in China. Here is a long thread but I believe it explains it all. I only browsed through it.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211088

A

Anonymous

i have read that chevelles thread hundreds of times. and so many people are hesitant to buy their stuff, so i bought a set of the big block heads hoping to put peoples minds at ease. i bought them bare and like i said installed top nothch parts since im running a blower and making big power. once installed made dyno run and over 800HP on first runs without tune changed jets on the carbs, broke distributor gear reinstalled new distributor and runs mint. cant wait to look at the sky going down the track!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts