Pick a Palm Sander for me

rock

Pro Stocker
May 22, 2003
Chicagoland area
Let me know which Harbor Freight palm sander you would use to sand down an entire car.
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=palm+sander

Any further input would be greatly appreciate. BTW the car has only surface rust and factory paint.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
This is the most common style, general autobody sanding. Hope you have a good/BIG compressor, sanders use ALOT of air....

rock

Pro Stocker
May 22, 2003
Chicagoland area
StreetBu said:
This is the most common style, general autobody sanding. Hope you have a good/BIG compressor, sanders use ALOT of air....

I was thinking more of an electric palm sander. Would be a lot easier than sanding by hand.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
hmm, i dunno about an electric one, sorry.

Jaypaso

Amateur Racer
Jan 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
the round orbitals work good but you might need one with a point to get into tight spots

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
I bought a Rigid electric D/A that would probably work pretty well on a car. Ive taken the paint off a snow plow with it and it actually went pretty fast. Just a thought.

rock

Pro Stocker
May 22, 2003
Chicagoland area
Mike said:
I bought a Rigid electric D/A that would probably work pretty well on a car. Ive taken the paint off a snow plow with it and it actually went pretty fast. Just a thought.

Which of the ones from Harbor Freight most resembles your Rigid electirc D/A. Let me know. Thanks.

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
I would say the 5" is close but the problem is all of those electric sanders are basically finishing sanders. I used to have a small Black and Decker square sander like the one from HF but I used to use it for finishing woodworking projects with 220 grit garnet paper. Stuff like cabinet doors and pine trim. I dont think theyre really made to do big sanding jobs. But thats just my opinion. The 6" Rigid that I got from Home Dumpo is a bit more cash. Its $129. The only reason I bought it was my buddy had one and he used it to sand the finish off of a 32' boat to get it ready for paint and it worked well. I have a 60 gallon compressor and I knew it would be running all the time with an air D/A.

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
I've got a couple el cheapo B&D like 4" square pad sanders I bought to sand hardwood floors in my house I think I paid less than $20 ea,sanded the floors,a bunch of other stuff including car parts like fenders and doors & things,they'll do a lot of sanding with 60 or 80 grit paper,I've run them both hard and havn't broke either one yet and kept a lot of hrs off of my compressor,KillerDave

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts