Pics needed - power steering

Bill in NC

Top Fueler
Jan 1, 2004
Mocksville NC
Betcha618 said:
B.G. said:
Bill in NC said:
Is the pitman arm installed correctly? if its 180deg off, that could cause this reverse steering problem.......i think.

Can you put one on 180 deg off?????

He made it sound like all he did was switch the engine and power steering pump, If he installed a new steering box or moved a pitman arm-and didn't mention it.....He deserves a kick in the pills.

the pitman arm cant be off. but if it was being off that much would mean you might only get 1 turn out of the steering wheel one way and youll get like 3 turns of the wheel the other.

wouldnt make it backwards.

I did order a steering box for a blazer one time and it did the same thing. turns out the box was for a mail truck built on the s-10 chassis (right hand drive)

After looking at my car today I would agree that it can't be put on 180 deg off. I was envisioning something completely different lol...............carry on lol

spacemanspif

Weekend Racer
Jun 12, 2011
Dela...Where?
You guys are correct that the pitman arm is installed properly. I think I am just going to swap in a manual box and get her on the road before winter (here's hoping I don't have mail truck part lol). I keep running into electrical issues and I'd rather not deal with PS too, then over winter I'll hook the PS up and try to troubleshoot this issue.

Elcaminolq4

Sep 19, 2011
Ive heard of this from a bunch of guys, the problem your having is that the truck you got the engine from either 1 had a rack or 2 had a drag link type, the steering on the truck is mounted at a weird angle behind the engine, so the pump internally is routed backwards to make it right for the rack, you either take the pump apart and put guts from a s10 pump in the truck pump, or do what you said and what i did and go with a manual s10 box. Not all that hard from what people say it is, i can turn 235 40 17 with one hand at a stop, good luck!

dynodanmanda79

Weekend Racer
Dec 9, 2007
Crestview, FL.
Is it possible that 5.3 came from an Express Van? I looked on a few parts sites and the power steering pump from an express van with a 5.3 has a different part number than the silverado 2wd & 4wd with a 5.3. At first I thought there was a difference in pumps between the 2wd and 4wd silverado's since the 2wd's had a steering rack and the 4wd's had a steering box, but that is not the case.

Betcha618

Frequent Racer
Sep 19, 2007
coram, NY
I THINK THE VANS CAME WITH Hydroboost, that might explain the different pumps, the van pump has to power more then just the steering.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts