power steering pump & box

zapc

Daily Driver
Dec 8, 2010
anyone know what year the steering pump and box went metric? when i did my bigblock swap i used the power steering pump and bracket out of a 70 chevelle, I had to custom make lines to go from metric steering box to american pump. want to put in the american box, I think I read 1979 was the last year for american box in a gbody,what other boxes might work?

chris

Bar50

Pro Stocker
Jan 31, 2009
Tulsa, OK
What do you mean by metric?

I have lots of buddies putting S-10 straight ratio power steering boxes on A-bodies.
The quick ratio boxes found on Monte SS and Grand National look just like the A-body box, the was another box with a freeze plug looking top.

If you are referring to the o-ring seal flare fitting it hit GM cars in '78-79 trucks later. To use an early pump swap the pressure regulator fitting or vice versa.

If you american, like the saginaw box, they still make and use them. I put a quick ratio box (I think the casting number was like 656 or 686) it is found IROC Zs, GNs, and some cop car Caprices. I have a 454, long water pump, and some reproduction GM power steering pump brackets that seemed to be for a 427 '69 Camaro, or at least that was the pump I ended up buying at the parts store. I just swapped out the pressure regulator and used '86 Monte lines.

zapc

Daily Driver
Dec 8, 2010
all i want to do is run stock premade lines, i had to make up a custom line (which leaks) . the box uses the newer metric fittings, and the box is the old american out of a 70 chevelle, would rather change box since its original, rather than pump which is new. whats the easiest way

thanx

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts