Prop/combo valve with manual brakes, disc/drum setup

Doug Keen

Pro Stocker
May 22, 2003
Central, Illinois
Well unfortunately you will have to unbolt that pedal assembly one more time, but it is so simple and straight forward it's no biggy. Yeah it is a real treat in my ride too, got bars going everywhere seats in the way. Easiest way I found was remove drivers seat and lie flat on my back looking up at the dash and go for it. BTW, I dont even have the residual valves in my car Travis does tell me I should install them though.

A

Anonymous

Confusion is setting in...

If the master already has proportioning...does the front need the 2lb valve? The rear needs the 10 lb right?

Doug Keen

Pro Stocker
May 22, 2003
Central, Illinois
Yo sarge! Nice avatar albeit a bit SHOCKING...LOL Anyway... Don't sweat it, it is simple. To do a by the book install, you need the kit from Travis at Steel Concepts and the 10lb residual valves if you have rear drums. You don't want residual valves on disc brakes unless the m/c is located below the calipers (ie.. a tube chassis car with the m/c located under the driver). Sorry for the confusion.

Doug Keen

Pro Stocker
May 22, 2003
Central, Illinois
Supe said:
BTW, does anyone know where I can get 11" drums for a 9" predrilled for 4 3/4 bolt pattern? I need to find one as one of mine had a piece crack off last year when it froze on there.

I haven't seen em, I used a set off a 76 F150 and they had the right sized pilot at least, then just drill my 4.75 pattern myself. Sorry for the lack of help in that area.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Doug Keen said:
SUPE, I have that kit on my Regal. The Wilwood MC has built in proportioning, you will be fine. I have fact. disc front, and 11" Ford drums on the back. Besides who needs the extra weight of a prop valve. :lol: The kit is a real nice fit, NO BS involved bolt it in and go..... or stop in this case.

Which Wilwood master do you have? I don't think any Wilwood master performs proportioning duties. Even if it does, except for the Combination Remote Tandem Master Cylinder, it is still a single circuit and does not perform the job of a factory combination valve. Just like with factory master cylinders, without a combo valve, if you get one decent sized leak you can have NO brakes after the first time you let off the brakes and press the pedal again. Use the right stuff and be safe.

Tommy

Doug Keen

Pro Stocker
May 22, 2003
Central, Illinois
LS6 Tommy said:
Doug Keen said:
SUPE, I have that kit on my Regal. The Wilwood MC has built in proportioning, you will be fine. I have fact. disc front, and 11" Ford drums on the back. Besides who needs the extra weight of a prop valve. :lol: The kit is a real nice fit, NO BS involved bolt it in and go..... or stop in this case.

Which Wilwood master do you have? I don't think any Wilwood master performs proportioning duties. Even if it does, except for the Combination Remote Tandem Master Cylinder, it is still a single circuit and does not perform the job of a factory combination valve. Just like with factory master cylinders, without a combo valve, if you get one decent sized leak you can have NO brakes after the first time you let off the brakes and press the pedal again. Use the right stuff and be safe.

Tommy

I use a 260-4893 m/c. Explain to me how a prop. valve is gonna keep your brakes from failing in the event of fluid leaking. Even on a stock vehicle, you spring a leak you better fix it cuz your m/c is gonna run outta fluid. I am not trying to be a smart *ss here, just want to know. Wilwood's techline direct quote "you do not need to run a factory prop. valve with the 260-4893/4 m/c. Try the brakes on dry pavement, if the rear brakes lock up install an adj. proportioning valve"

*****disclaimer
My car is a track vehicle, whenever I call a tech line I represent it that way. If anyone chooses to try what I have done do so at your own risk. I have never had any trouble though FWIW

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Re: brake

RazorBlade said:
supe.....................i just trew set set away that i was gonna use till i went with disc set=up... missed asking that buy a week and half.. sorry dude.!

Doh! #-o

Ah well, I'll see if I can find a set for the f150 or marquis and toss them on the Bridgeport. I can probably get them new through Currie or Moser, but it wouldn't be worth the $$$, and I've only seen them come as part of the drum brake package.

Edit: Sweet, just checked, local Autozone back home has them in stock for the f150 for $32. At least that will save me some searching.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Sorry guys, I am a total screw up! :oops: The responses I've gotten from you all prompted me to think that I'm getting rusty and I'm remembering things wrong. I got out the old GM manual, and sure enough, I was. The combo valve doesn't isolate the two circuits, as I thought it did. I have edited my FAQ's sticky appropriately.

Apologies to all I may have confused or made angry.

Tommy

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
No worries dude! If I had a nickel for every time I had a brain fart, I'd be campaigning a fuel car right now!

540Malibu

Pro Stocker
May 22, 2003
Shrews., MA
Re: brake

Supe said:
RazorBlade said:
supe.....................i just trew set set away that i was gonna use till i went with disc set=up... missed asking that buy a week and half.. sorry dude.!

Doh! #-o

Ah well, I'll see if I can find a set for the f150 or marquis and toss them on the Bridgeport. I can probably get them new through Currie or Moser, but it wouldn't be worth the $$$, and I've only seen them come as part of the drum brake package.

Edit: Sweet, just checked, local Autozone back home has them in stock for the f150 for $32. At least that will save me some searching.

go to the parts store and find an 11" chevy drum

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts