Quick question need FAST answers

ROCK!

Weekend Racer
Nov 10, 2009
Colorado springs, CO
I didn't wanna search for this, Im curse_sign.gif off enough as it is.

As you know I have an 81 Malibu wagon, I have been trying to sell it because I simply have to many vehicles. I decided to put a new engine in it to try and help sell it faster. Now we find problems. I bought an 87 Camaro for parts. It had a tuned port 305 in it that I unfortunately do not have the tuned port manifold for. I just used an edelbrock performer, and Im gonna use a Q-jet. All that is together, and it all worked out fine. The cam even had a lobe on it to drive the mechanical fuel pump. Im to the point of putting the flex plate on it and my older(81) flex plate of course does not match up to the newer(87) crank. I know I can get a new flex plate to match so I can use the original th350 that's still in the car, but Im out of cash, and it bleeds like a stuck pig. I just happen to have the T5 trans out of the Camaro, and just about every thing I would need to put it in my wagon. I need to know if the peddle assembly will line up or if I'll have to find one out of a manual G-body, what trans mission mount do I need(i can modify the cross member no problem), can I just cut a hole in the bu's floor for the clutch master cyl or do I have to build a new mount, what other problems an I gonna run into? Im sure Im not the first one to think of this, so Im here asking the experts.

Oh yea, the older stock manifolds don't work on the newer engine ether, they hit the valve covers! I would like to use stock manifolds so I don't have to re do my exhaust but don't know what to look for that will dump in the same location.

My goal was to get the car done this weekend, but that's not gonna happen now. I would love to drive it to the Halloween party I'll be attending, but it's looking like that's not gonna happen ether.

ROCK!

Weekend Racer
Nov 10, 2009
Colorado springs, CO
WOW! Awesome, thanx! I wish you didn't live so far away, you could help me do the swap :lol: I think Im gonna go with the F body peddle assembly, I already have one so that's easier then finding a set of A or G body peddles. I'll come back with some pix as things progress. My only issue now is the seats, Im gonna have to find some buckets.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
While it is a great project, it is an awful lot of work just to sell a car. I bet you end up keeping it after you are done.

If you use the Camaro bellhousing, you can use the TH350 crossmember. You may have to lengthen the mount hole, but that is all. I don't know if I put that factoid in my novel or not.

ROCK!

Weekend Racer
Nov 10, 2009
Colorado springs, CO
Every thing I have came out of an 87 Camaro. Unfortunately it's not a world class as far as I know, but I don't care. I have the stock th350 cross member still in the car, so it would be great if I didn't have to do any thing to it. I have already disided to keep it :lol: I plan to sell my Saturn instead. Im only really selling it because I need cash and I have way to many cars. I figured it would be much kooler to drive a Malibu then a Saturn any way. 8) Not to mention the fact that I can haul a hell of a lot more in it then the Saturn.

I made some progress today. I was really, REALLY pissed off when I got to work this morning and the secretary pushed me over the edge. I left after only being there an hour. I came home and got to work on the car. I got the peddle assembly modified, bolted in, and ready to go. I got the clutch master cylinder hooked up as well, but I still need a clip to keep the rod on. That plastic piece is junk and pops off. I need an F body break clip and it will be done. I also got the old trans out, and got the new trans and engine all bolted up and ready to go in. Hopefully by the weekend I'll be ready to drive it. Oh yea, I took the shifter apart and turned it around. I still have to ether find bucket seats or modify the shifter handle and the bench seat. It will be much easier to put buckets in it, but finding a good pair won't. Im planning on putting the new eng and trans in tomorrow night so I can measure for the drive shaft. The only shop in town that can shorten it is only open during the week so Saturday is out of the question. My only real issue now is the exhaust.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
sounds like you made a lot of progress. You don't really need to measure anything. The transmissions are 3 inches different in length, so cutting 3 inches is sufficient.

ROCK!

Weekend Racer
Nov 10, 2009
Colorado springs, CO
Almost done!! :D Thanx T5, your site helped a lot. One thing you might ad though, HEADERS! Im gonna be using Camaro headers because of the plastic slave cyl. I can't fit any thing else in there with out running directly into it, or coming way to close. I have to order them because no one in town has any. I need them quick though, just my luck :lol: I tried to use my stock manifolds off the Malibu, but they hit the valve cover! In all my life and all the swaps I've done, I have never had that issue. It's crazy! I used the bench seat to, it fits real tight, but my new shifter just clears it where I need it. Im 5'10 so the seat is just about all the way back. I know some of you would smack me for this, but I used a ford transfer case shifter to modify my T5 shifter. [-X I ended up turning it around so the bend was forward, and I cut it off just below the stock handle. I had to tear the handle apart so I knew how it worked, and there was no way I could have used it otherwise. The t-case handle had a bend about 1" up that was just right to turn it away from the seat. I welded it all together and after I ground it smooth you would have never known. I should have gotten a pic #-o I of course took it all apart before welding, I would have melted the polly ball if not. All I need now is the headers, a steering column, and shorten my drive shaft. If the headers come in time I just might make it to the Halloween party. dancin_banana.gif

I forgot to mention, I had to cut my cross member apart and weld it back together. The mount was no where near lining up. I couldn't just drill a new hole ether. I had to cut the mount off, cut about 3/4" off the back of it, and weld it on lower then the stock position. I used the stock T5 mount, and it was so tall the trans was jambed against the floor before I cut it.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
ROCK! said:
I used the stock T5 mount, and it was so tall the trans was jambed against the floor before I cut it.
sounds like your body mounts are shot.

There are a number of people using the F body hydraulics with a variety of headers. I am not sure about manifolds and dual exhaust, but with a y-pipe, it works ok.

They hole in the original crossmember needed to be lengthened. Perhaps the pad might have to be shortened (not sure). I am not sure why it did not work in your case.

If you look at this page, it is an mechanical linkage F body T5 swap. You can see how the transmission crossmember fits:
http://garage-scene.com/manual-trans-monte/1985_mcss_john_crenshaw.htm

With Edelbrock TES, the hydraulics fit fine:
http://garage-scene.com/manual-trans-monte/1986_mcss_frank_sheehan.htm

This guy used long tube headers and hydraulic. I never did find the PN, but I think they were Hooker.
http://garage-scene.com/manual-trans-monte/1987_mcss_rob_luke.htm

In any event, you are nearly done!

ROCK!

Weekend Racer
Nov 10, 2009
Colorado springs, CO
I was planning on a Y pipe, that's the easiest way to do it. I have a piece of 3" pipe that came off the Camaro so Im gonna use it to replace the tiny pipe that's under it now. I have a feeling my body mounts are shot, my front shocks are, my motor mounts were, and my trans mount was to. I just picked up a ton of scrap tonight so maybe I'll spend a little more and get a better set of headers. Im planning on getting a pair of cheap flow techs so I can get it done, but I guess we'll see.

ROCK!

Weekend Racer
Nov 10, 2009
Colorado springs, CO
Hey T5, you owe me $75! I got my drive shaft shortened today, you said 3", its to curse_sign.gif long! Now I have to take it back and have it done again! ](*,) I knew I should have measured it my self.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts