Rear Disc Coversion

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Theres a reason factory 4 wheel disc cars have smaller diameter caliper pistons on the rear. Just didnt want someone to take the cheap way out and regret it later.

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
Ya, hind site is always 20/20. lol

I'll change it later, it's fine for a track only (slow) car like mine.

Firetruck1

Dragway Regular
Jan 3, 2013
Ocala Florida
StreetBu said:
Word of caution, dont use the kit that uses the front calipers from our cars on the rear. Brake bias wont be correct for the street and the pedal wont feel right.

This is exactly why I want to do the s10 set up, it is factory engineered to work with the front brakes I already have. I am getting conflicting answers on if they will clear the frame.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Firetruck1 said:
StreetBu said:
Word of caution, dont use the kit that uses the front calipers from our cars on the rear. Brake bias wont be correct for the street and the pedal wont feel right.

This is exactly why I want to do the s10 set up, it is factory engineered to work with the front brakes I already have. I am getting conflicting answers on if they will clear the frame.

Remember, rear braking demands are vastly different for a pickup than a car. You may have to play with metering & proportioning.

Tommy

malibukeith

Weekend Racer
Feb 22, 2013
Nashville, Tn.
elcaminoss84 said:
a bolt on rear disc conversion that im using is complete rear disc setup off of a 78-85 cadillac eldorado. then you use also the master cylinder and porportioning valve off of a eldorado too. the parts list you need is two rear calipers, two rear rotors, two mounting plates that bolt to the rear end, one master cylinder and one porportioning valve, two front brake hoses off a gbody for front calipers (must be four wheel disc brake Eldorado from 78-85 for these parts to work)

I'm interested in doing this but have a couple questions... basically I find a eldorado and take the items you have listed but my question is do you need the gbody hoses because you are also getting the front calipers from the eldorado to install on "your" gbody? or am I missing something? Is the eldorado front calipers an upgrade? if so do I need to nab the rotors as well? Thanks, Keith.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Last edited by a moderator:

87SS-ZZ3

Frequent Racer
Oct 9, 2004
Pantego, NC
Did you ever figure out the S10 rear brakes? I want to upgrade my Malibu with a factory style. If the S10 works, they are easier to find around here. If not, I can try the F body rear disc.

Firetruck1

Dragway Regular
Jan 3, 2013
Ocala Florida
No I did not. I ended up going with a set of drums I had from my 8.5 and refreshing them. Id have liked to do the S10 deal and really did want bolt on parts but in the end, for lack of answers and better places to spend my money I picked up a set of new cylinders and shoes and assembled it. I can honestly say the Monte is the first car in my life I went out of my way to keep the parking brake on!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts