residual valve?

383malibufiend

Top Fueler
Mar 27, 2006
Lancaster PA
do i need a residual valve for a disc/drum application on a stock MC setup? or just a proportioning valve?

383malibufiend

Top Fueler
Mar 27, 2006
Lancaster PA
no i havent done anything yet. i am thinking of the manual kit from steel concepts and a line kit from inline tube, and i dont know what ill need to get the disc drum combination to work, ive seen guys have dilemmas on here and im just trying to get it right the first time...

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
ALL you need in there other than the lines is the residual valve. No prop valve, combo valve, etc.

383malibufiend

Top Fueler
Mar 27, 2006
Lancaster PA
why is it in there from the factory then? so if i have residual valves one each to the discs, and one each to the drums, then im cool? is it the way they set up the MC from steel concepts?

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Because the factory stuff is designed to work with the factory master, which puts out different percentages/ratios front to back, and is designed to work with the extra hardware.

You only need one residual valve, just to the backs. Tee straight into the fronts from the master, for the back go from the master into a single residual valve, back out to the splitter block for both rear drums.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
The factory combo valve is also there for the same reason you should leave it there- SAFETY. NONE of the other setups will shut down the front or back brakes in the event of a leak and you run the risk of pumping enough of your fluid out to lose your brakes.

Tommy

ILLEGAL REGAL

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jan 1, 2005
Tinley Park,IL
LS6 Tommy said:
The factory combo valve is also there for the same reason you should leave it there- SAFETY. NONE of the other setups will shut down the front or back brakes in the event of a leak and you run the risk of pumping enough of your fluid out to lose your brakes.

Tommy
what if goin with a 4wheel disc setup and wilwood master?

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
ILLEGAL REGAL™ said:
LS6 Tommy said:

Tommy
what if goin with a 4wheel disc setup and wilwood master?

On a race setup like Wilwood, it's not as crucial because you *should* be using separate masters for the front and rear. For my 4 wheel disc setup I used a Disc/Disc combo valve from Master Power Brakes. Bolts right in.

I know some guys say it's not needed, but I recommend it on any single master setup. Like I said, it can't hurt to have it. 1# of extra weight never cost anyoine a race.

Tommy

355_79bu

Dragway Regular
Dec 13, 2005
Cotter, AR
LS6 Tommy said:

Tommy

It also contains a metering valve which controls the timing of the front and rear brakes. It allows the rear drums to activate slightly before the front disks to make braking more stable and controllable.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts