roller rocker question

elcaminoss84

Frequent Racer
Sep 26, 2009
Oklahoma
I was wondering is there any brand roller rockers you can install without having to install head studs and valve guides and hardened push rods? my motors is a mild 350 with stock heads. I would like to get rid of the stock stamped steel rocker arms and go with a roller rocker is this possible?

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
I don't think its exactly a simple swap. I think you either need the heads with the pushrod hole as a guide for the rockers, guide plates, or self aligning rockers. This will vary, depending on your heads. But seriously, you will see zero gain over a stamped steel rocker.

elcaminoss84

Frequent Racer
Sep 26, 2009
Oklahoma
I tried installing some harland sharp roller rockers but when I was trying to adjust them with the motor running they were coming off the tip of the valve. so I compared the harland sharp and the stock ones and notice the stock ones have like a aligning thing on both sides to keep it on the valve. so if I installed self aligning roller rocker would that work without having to install anything else?

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
elcaminoss84 said:
I tried installing some harland sharp roller rockers but when I was trying to adjust them with the motor running they were coming off the tip of the valve. so I compared the harland sharp and the stock ones and notice the stock ones have like a aligning thing on both sides to keep it on the valve. so if I installed self aligning roller rocker would that work without having to install anything else?

Yes, Self-aligning roller Rockers would be correct, nothing else needed.
Never run Guide Plates and Self-aligning Rockers together = Binding.

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
why were you adjusting them with the motor running? What heads do you have?
brian

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
bracketchev1221 said:
I don't think its exactly a simple swap. I think you either need the heads with the pushrod hole as a guide for the rockers, guide plates, or self aligning rockers. This will vary, depending on your heads. But seriously, you will see zero gain over a stamped steel rocker.

I wouldn't say zero gain, but unless you change ratios, there will be very little gain other than the teeny bit you gain from having more accurate & even rocker geometry on all 16 rockers.

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts