SSM Lift-Bar Control Arm Question

84Monte

Amateur Racer
Jul 2, 2004
Texas
www.freewebs.com
Ok It's been over 3 yrs since I messed with my suspension, I know Im lazy. I have SSM lower control arms, adj. uppers, and an anti-roll bar. I know some will say that the Lift-Bars and the ARB will act against each other with hi HP cars (600+HP)... well I agree. The best 60ft I got is a 1.39 and Im consistence in the low 1.41-1.45 range. I still consider this isn't bad 60ft times with a full interior Monte (3500lbs)... one reason I haven't touch it. lol No matter what I do (add more nitrous, lower tire psi, change shock settings, add more pre-load) my 60ft will stay the same or won't improve. I know the car is making power with more MPH showing on the timeslips, but no change in the 60ft resulting no ET change. The car should be running 9.60's with the MPH I have (140). So over the winter I plan to work on my suspension with no money or little cost.

Ok the questions...
Can I remove the brackets the SSM gave me and run without them? Wouldn't this be the same if I ran non-adjustable boxed control arms?

If I run the SSM LCA in the factory bolt location (rear-end), does it still need the plates (brackets)? There will be some play (a gap) if I leave out the brackets when bolting the control arms to the rear-end housing.

I like to hear back from guys that removed the brackets and can tell me if it made a difference? I also like to hear from anyone running 1.3x 60fts. ;) lol
Thanks for the help
-Mark

84Monte

Amateur Racer
Jul 2, 2004
Texas
www.freewebs.com
Im launching with nitrous at the line... not down the track. When I put a 150hp shot it runs 1.45 60ft 10.00's, when I step it up to a 200hp shot it runs 9.80's with 1.41 60ft. MPH goes up too, the reason I thinking it should do better with 60fts. I'll just be happy to go mid 1.3's 60fts.
Im footbraking it with a TH400, 4.10 gears and a 3500 Hughes stall, it flashes around 4000. Goes thru the traps at 7200 shifting at 7000rpms.

Hiway

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 9, 2005
Enola Arkansas
If I'm thinking right (seldom) the SSM lowers will be to long without the additional bracket.

84Monte

Amateur Racer
Jul 2, 2004
Texas
www.freewebs.com
Hiway, I was thinking this too. But I guess I won't know until I remove the brackets, or if someone can give me the lenght of thier lower control arms (bolt-hole to bolt-hole).

Doug Keen

Pro Stocker
May 22, 2003
Central, Illinois
I used to run SSM lowers, you can eliminate that relocate bracket to make the lower arm almost level instead of running up toward the car. Nitrous cars are strange, I have seen them pick up et and mph, but maybe lose .02 in the 60 foot. What type of rear shocks are on the car? Once you get to the level that you are, shocks become very important. Too tight it bounces off them and then unloads the tire, too loose and you hit the tire too hard and it spins. I found quite a bit of et simply with shock adjustments than anything else in the past 2 years.

84Monte

Amateur Racer
Jul 2, 2004
Texas
www.freewebs.com
Thanks Doug for the responds. I have comp eng. 3way adj shocks all for corners. The front is set at 90/10 and the rear is 50/50 with moroso front trick springs and stock rear springs. Tomorrow im going to start working on removing the brackets. I let you guys know how it works out. Thanks for the input.

-Mark

johnnycarlo

Frequent Racer
Apr 6, 2007
RIMBEY AB. CANADA
I have my SSM lowers and a set of stock lowers in my shop.I can let you know if they measure the same center to center in the morning.

Jayz81ss

Amateur Racer
Jan 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
My Monte came with the ssm bars and it didn't have the brackets on it. They were mounted in the stock holes. The problem I found was that the instant center was way off. I fabbed up my own brackets similar to the ssm ones to relocate the arms to move my IC.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts