Stripping clearcoat off of wheels

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Can anyone suggest an effective method of stripping clearcoat off of rims.
Fortunately, I only want to strip and polish the outside aluminum edge, or lip. These are for my "old man'" car.. :lol:
Also, is the coating epoxy or lacquer?
Thank you!
jack :?:

80superbu

Pro Stocker
Oct 2, 2005
Colorado springs, CO
If your just going to strip and polish then use some sandpaper. If they are pitted at all, start with a 600 grit then work up to 1200 or 1500. You may want to tape off the area you don't want stripped. I did the wheels on my wifes Miata and they turned out like chrome. Of course it depends on how you are going to polish them. Withe the proper buffing compounds and drill/dremel tool they will turn out very nice

355_79bu

Dragway Regular
Dec 13, 2005
Cotter, AR
I know it sounds scary, but I have used aerosol paint stripper on a set of Vette aluminum wheels and it worked great. It looks horrible while the stripper is working (turns yellow) but they polish up great. I just used some Mother's to polish after stripping. You can make it look like chrome with some elbow grease. BTW: No sanding needed.

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Thanks Bryan,
It seems that 600 grit is alittle too light to cut the clearcoat.. I have tried to cut it down with some 120 and 150 grit...even that is a pain.
There is also some corrosion/ oxidation that also needs to be sanded down and polished out. where the clearcoat is peeling.
Fortunately, there's no pitting...I'm relieved about that...
I'm wondering if stripper is effective enough to cut thru the clearcoat? Then lightly sand and polish from there...
I'm open to further comment...
jack :?

ready961

Frequent Racer
Dec 21, 2003
Mass
They make a product called clearcoat stripper. Its for wheels and such. It comes in a brown glass bottle. I have used it in the past, works pretty good. May have to use a couple coats. Eastwood probably sells it.

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Thanks Kirby and Ready961,

Before dinner, I did alittle experimenting. I used a small paint brush and dipped it into some aircraft stripper, dabbed it onto one of the rims....low and behold...it works. I used a brass type pot scrubber and was really impressed by the results....and you're right,,,no sanding..it looked like the areas I stripped were ready for polish..
Thanks guys! Once again, I appreciate your suggestions and feedback...

Jack :D

81classic

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2003
North Port, Fl
Looks like you figured it out already, but aircraft stripper works great for clearcoat on alluminum. Spray it on and you can usually just spray it off with water.

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Thanks again guys!
I was thinking of using an aerosol stripper, but I didn't want to strip the centers, just the outer rim. In other words, I wanted to be careful not to strip off more than I had to...
I also want to repaint the centers, can anyone recommend a good durable paint...urethane enamel? I thought of possibly doing the centers in hammertone black...whatcha think?
By the way, these wheels look somewhat similar to the GTA wheel, only for a FWD car.
Jack ;)

355_79bu

Dragway Regular
Dec 13, 2005
Cotter, AR
Powder Coat? It shouldn't cost too much and would be a lot more durable than any paint. I had a set of 4 wheels done at the local powder coater for $75.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts