Stripping clearcoat off of wheels

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
355_79bu said:
Powder Coat? It shouldn't cost too much and would be a lot more durable than any paint. I had a set of 4 wheels done at the local powder coater for $75.
===================================================
Kirby,
I had powdercoating in back of my mind, but kind of figured it would be pricey to do four wheels. That's not too terrible..
You got me thinking now....hmmmm!
Jack :)

A

Anonymous

summit sells wheel paint it works good but should let it sit for a month to get hard so they wont chip.

85_SS

Dragway Regular
Aug 13, 2004
www.cardomain.com
I use simple paint stripper from a hardware store. If you want to polish the wheels, you will have to first sand out the factory machining lines. I started with a 220 and worked up to 1000wet. Then I hand polished with Autosol polish. Here is the final wheel after paint (aluminum left bare):

http://media.motortopia.com/files/74/album_refinished_8688_ss_wheels/449dbe9cdb359/100_0270JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg

http://media.motortopia.com/files/74/album_refinished_8688_ss_wheels/449dc035b1597/291978_73_fulljpg_Thumbnail1.jpg

http://media.motortopia.com/files/74/album_refinished_8688_ss_wheels/449dc0398962f/291978_74_fulljpg_Thumbnail1.jpg

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Thanks TTCutlass and Kevin,

Kevin,
your wheels came out really nice...Fortunately, I only have the outer rim to do. I got them stripped, and had to lightly sand some areas where there was light corrosion/ oxidation and afew scratches here and there..
I actually started to hand polish it with some white rubbing compound, and some Wenol. They are starting to look pretty nice....although I'll hit it with a buffing pad, or wheel...it should look like chrome...

TT,
I'm probably going to use black hammertone paint to paint the wheel centers. That stuff is pretty tough once it cures...
Jack 8)

malibu79

Frequent Racer
Sep 25, 2003
Rock Hill,SC
members.cardomain.com
Longroof79 said:
By the way, these wheels look somewhat similar to the GTA wheel, only for a FWD car.
Jack ;)

do you have any pics of the rims and what are they going on? oh, and what is the wheel spacing?

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
malibu79 said:
Longroof79 said:
By the way, these wheels look somewhat similar to the GTA wheel, only for a FWD car.
Jack ;)

do you have any pics of the rims and what are they going on? oh, and what is the wheel spacing?
====================================================
I don't have a pic of the wheels at this time, but they have the crosslaced pattern spokes much like the T/A GTA wheels, only that the centers are an ugly gold..
These wheels are off of a '93 Bonneville SSE, and are going on a FWD Olds Cutlass Ciera...nothing exciting, but just alittle esthetic enhancement to make it look less like an old folks ride..
The wheels are 16 x 7 with a 4 7/8" backspace.
I think they should look cool on there...compared to the little 14 x 6 wheels and tires.
Jack ;)

malibu79

Frequent Racer
Sep 25, 2003
Rock Hill,SC
members.cardomain.com
Longroof79 said:
malibu79 said:
Longroof79 said:
Jack ;)

====================================================
I don't have a pic of the wheels at this time, but they have the crosslaced pattern spokes much like the T/A GTA wheels, only that the centers are an ugly gold..
These wheels are off of a '93 Bonneville SSE, and are going on a FWD Olds Cutlass Ciera...nothing exciting, but just alittle esthetic enhancement to make it look less like an old folks ride..
The wheels are 16 x 7 with a 4 7/8" backspace.
I think they should look cool on there...compared to the little 14 x 6 wheels and tires.
Jack ;)

yeah they should look good. one last question what year cutlass are they going on. sorry for all the questions its just that ive just got a hold of a 94 buick century and ive been trying to think of different wheels that would look decent on the car without them having a ricer look. all though with 2 15in speakers in the trunk and wire wheel hubcaps i can make people mad at redlights and they have no clue the old grandpa mobile is the source of the noise. :twisted:

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Jack: Duplicolor makes a paint just for wheels. Stuff is tough and looks nice, I redid the wheels on the RX7 with it before I sold it.

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Supe said:
Jack: Duplicolor makes a paint just for wheels. Stuff is tough and looks nice, I redid the wheels on the RX7 with it before I sold it.
Bryan,
I'm still looking into getting a good hard wheel paint..probably an epoxy or urethane base. I notice that VHT makes an epoxy paint. I'd like to use a satin black, semi-flat black. The VHT claims that you need 30 days for it to fully cure...
Thank you for the Duplicolor suggestion. I will look into that...
Jack ;)

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
[ yeah they should look good. one last question what year cutlass are they going on. sorry for all the questions its just that ive just got a hold of a 94 buick century and ive been trying to think of different wheels that would look decent on the car without them having a ricer look. all though with 2 15in speakers in the trunk and wire wheel hubcaps i can make people mad at redlights and they have no clue the old grandpa mobile is the source of the noise. :twisted:[/quote]
The car is a '95 Ciera...much like the Buick Century. Typical old fartmobile.
I'll let you know how these wheels work out. I actually test fitted one on the front. It looks like it's going to clear. ..but again, it was without a tire on it.
The tire may come close to the lower spring perch....I'll have to see..
Yeah, I want it to look more like OEM than aftermarket/ ricer looking.
By the way, the bolt pattern is 115mm. Some other GM FWD cars have a 100mm bolt pattern.
I'll get a pic posted as soon as i can.
Jack ;)

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts