taller ball joints

malibu43

Amateur Racer
Aug 11, 2009
Hi guys,i have couple of questions for the ssuspension gurus.
taller ball joints will help to get my 80 bu more handling with stock a arms?
and what front sway bar will fit in my car,i mean a larger diameter if its so can tell me what car and model will fit in.
thanks a lot

78_Elky

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2005
Oregon
smlblk78.onlineshowoff.com
If you look around at the Monte Carlos and the Regals they had larger diameter sway bars. Also they had rear sway bars that most of the Malibus and El Caminos didn't get. I picked mine up at a junk yard for around $10 but that was 10 years ago when there were a lot more of these cars in the yards.
Jess

timo22

Amateur Racer
Sep 13, 2011
St. Louis, Mo
In addition to the sway bars. I would recommend some jounce bars. These bars go from the engine x member to the frame horns. Their are also. GP front bars that tie the frame horns together across the front. I would also upgrade your steering box with a Monte ss box. These boxes are power boxes but give you a feel for the road. Some gbodys came with fender braces and core support x braces. I feel gm spent a lot.of time trying to improve the handling of these cars and if they put it on there it was for a good reason. I have put these on my cars over the years and can say it is a vast improvement. Cutlasses. Regales and gps. Osman's and Monte ss are where you can find these parts. If you strike out. I have everything...

malibu43

Amateur Racer
Aug 11, 2009
thanks guys,but i forgot something very important,am from chile and i need to find out what bar will be fit in my 80 bu,i mean from a donor car ,also what will be the size of that bar ,actually am using the stock one and am looking for one larger size.
also someone can tell me about the larger ball joints?
thanks

malibudave1978

Amateur Racer
Jun 8, 2004
Houston, TX
Along with the G-body sway bars, any 3rd generation (1982-1992) camaro/firbird front sway bars will fit. I don't know if you have those down in Chile.

Taller ball joints will give you better handling through improving the front suspension's geometry. They make taller lower ball joints and taller upper ball joints. scandc.com is a company I know about that specializes in taller upper and lower ball joints.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
IIRC, you can only use tall ball joints on A-arms that are designed specifically for them. They can't be used on stock A-arms. They will bind at ride height & possibly even break. It's also a myth that using taller ball joints on stock A-arms improves geometry. It actually makes it worse. Ideally you want to have more negative camber. You end up with more positive camber...

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts