Teach me 12inch brakes

Scoti

Amateur Racer
Jan 15, 2005
Dallas Tx
Much appreciated. That link was informative & it even had a second link for a purchase source. Thanks again.... Scot.

malibu9in

Pro Stocker
May 30, 2003
college station texas
I went with the baer setup on the bu. Might cost a little more but everything worked like a charm.I have a EXCELLENT article on bumpsteer if I can only get it on the computer to show. Some say while driveing when you hit a small bump and the car vears off that thats not bumpsteer. Thats exactly what it is.

Scoti

Amateur Racer
Jan 15, 2005
Dallas Tx
malibu9in said:
I went with the baer setup on the bu. Might cost a little more but everything worked like a charm.I have a EXCELLENT article on bumpsteer if I can only get it on the computer to show. Some say while driveing when you hit a small bump and the car vears off that thats not bumpsteer. Thats exactly what it is.
I will admit . . .... Baer does have nice looking stuff. I'm just not willing to pay for the logo.

Although yes, that over-simplifies what they offer, I think I can use GM parts..... no-name parts that perform the same function, & do it for less than $1600 (source= Jegs 'Front drop spindle Track-System' w/13" rotor; [spindle cores required]).

I already have the spindles & can cut the ears off as needed w/o the high-dollar CNC process. I'm looking for the brackets to adapt the PBR calipers (just like the Baer kits do) & so far the most expensive ones have been some CNC'd aluminum C5 to G-spindle brackets for $100. I've seen several places offering loaded C5 calipers F/R for ~ $350. Plus I like the fact that the C5 stuff is 1.25" rotors vs. the Baer/C4 'HD' 1.1" thick rotors.

I feel I'm on the right path to assemble a C5 kit (equal to or better than the Baers) for < 1K.

Post up the bumpsteer article link when you find it. I never worried about the effects of performance before when I dropped my first Malibu. I'll freely admit I was only in it for the looks. When I did my E.Camino, I got the better springs, shocks, & sway-bars & it was a big difference. Now I want to apply that same philosophy & scrutinize things even more.

malibu9in

Pro Stocker
May 30, 2003
college station texas
Sounds like your on the right track for sure...i wanna say i gave right at a grand for the fronts with spindles and all. I probably bought a warrenty too. Im known to tear things up for sure.I have the article just need to scan it somehow. So in a nut shell you need the mearesments on the little black piece that the caliper bolts too right?

Scoti

Amateur Racer
Jan 15, 2005
Dallas Tx
malibu9in said:
So in a nut shell you need the mearesments on the little black piece that the caliper bolts too right?
Yep.

I'm currently awaiting responses on information requests I sent out on the adapter brackets that I have found on the internet. $100 bucks or less for some brackets isn't bad if it can save me more than that when purchasing the remainder of the parts.

If I could get a Baer kit for the same price as piecing a 'no-name/GM' PBR system together, I'd do it just because it would be easier. But, there seems to be a little bit of mark-up when it has their name on the calipers & I would rather not have anyone's name on there anyway.

Did you change any other components when you did your swap? Is your's 13"/13" or 13"/12"?

malibu9in

Pro Stocker
May 30, 2003
college station texas
yes 13/12...Baer use to have alot of there specs on the web not anymore i just looked. Im all for the make it not buy it. I just wouldnt have access to make it :cry: ! want me to measure mine somehow?

Scoti

Amateur Racer
Jan 15, 2005
Dallas Tx
I appreciate the offer but for now I'm good. My immediate task will be to see what caliper I can use w/the TT2's & 13" front rotor combo. The LS1 caliper fits w/the 12" LS1 rotor w/room to spare. Increase the diameter of the rotor & it might be a different story.

The AFX spindle combination definitely won't work w/my wheels; the Baers should. There has to be middle ground.
....Im all for the make it not buy it. I just wouldnt have access to make it....
I remember seeing the humble beginnings of your car back in the day @ Waco (it was just after you installed the LT1) & I know how nice it is now. You figured out your EFI transplant, so you & I both know the brakes wouldn't be an issue. Time on the other hand . . ......

malibu9in

Pro Stocker
May 30, 2003
college station texas
yea its been a while hasnt? :lol: Its getting a gen 3 408 now so even more task! start hacking on the frame and such. Im going to attempt to build my own headers see how bad i screw that up :lol:

what are you going to use on the rear? Have you visited montecarloss.com?
the brake section there is really good. you going to fredricksberg this year? is it even going on?

Scoti

Amateur Racer
Jan 15, 2005
Dallas Tx
Fredricksburg is a dead deal from what I've heard secondhand. I always liked the Waco shows back when they allowed everyone to cruise Valley Mills. I guess some dumb a's ruined it for the rest.

We poured over your car several times back then & my only complaint was it was a freakin 4wd :shock: . It looks much better after the altitude adjustment. Back when Waco was happening, I had a Glacier Blue 80 model Bu that was in the weeds (low enough I couldn't run the front inner wells because they kept heating up & 'steering' the car on the road). It had body color ralleys w/cop car centers & was a clean 10 footer. I had the crusty interior gutted the whole time I owned the car (god it stunk of baaaaad mildew).

As for rear brakes, I have 2 different sets in my possesion. Set #1 is from a 79 TA 8.5 10-bolt & set #2 is from a 98-up S10 Blazer. More than likely I'll use the Blazer stuff & see if I can get 12" LS1 parts to work. Either should work w/o much issue on my 8.5 GN rear.

408 huh ;) . Yep, Ive been a lurker over @ MCSS for a couple of years but never have registered since it's mainly for the SS cars. They do have some excellent tech & the drama seems fairly tame compared to other sites.

malibu9in

Pro Stocker
May 30, 2003
college station texas
yea i loved waco...been going before i could even drive. Havent we met before? Im sorry im bad with names. You were driving the buick on the power tour? mabye ive got you confused with someone else. Post some pics of your ride.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts