track time soon

T56elcamino

Weekend Racer
Aug 16, 2008
Opelousas, LA
I plan on going to the track pretty soon and have never ran it at the track with this setup yet, I had a 388 SBC (400hp) TH350 trans , 2,500 stall and a 7.5" w/ 3.23 gears, stock driveshaft, M/T E/T streets and ran 13.20 @ 103 mph, but have changed some stuff, now I'll be running a T56 , centerforce clutch and Ford 9" w/ 4.30 gears (same motor setup), same driveshaft but shortened of course same tires. any suggestions for launching or anything else for that matter? and will my stock driveshaft hold if I do a pretty high rpm launch?

holtjohn

Frequent Racer
Oct 15, 2008
man, your car looks good. So you have ran a 13.20 on a 7.5 rear end thats pretty cool. Nice car. What are you wanting your car to run?

T56elcamino

Weekend Racer
Aug 16, 2008
Opelousas, LA
thanks man, I would like to get into the 12's with this new setup, i think thats pretty dang reasonable, I haven't gone yet at all with the new transmission and rearend. Eventually maybe some AFR heads and full roller valvetrain would be nice. I don't know a whole lot about drag racing so if I went to the track and got some pointers and played with the timing and carb and tire pressure I could probly pick up a couple tenths. Last time I went I drove up did a burnout and ran 13.20. I didn't do any tuning cause I didn't wanna mess anything up and I drove the car 80 miles to the track and had to drive it back, but I am getting more comfortable with tuning and more willing to try new things. Any advice on jetting or timing would be nice.

Blackwizard22

Frequent Racer
Feb 26, 2007
NJ
Did you replace your U joints? If not I would do that and go with solid body non-greaseable units. At your power level I dont think the stock ds will have a problem as long as its balanced. Remember to have a driveshaft loop as well, youll need it if u get into the 12s anyway.

T56elcamino

Weekend Racer
Aug 16, 2008
Opelousas, LA
.512 valve lift, (got 1.6 rockers), 110 LSA, can't remember duration...268?

holtjohn

Frequent Racer
Oct 15, 2008
Is it comp cam xe268h, the only thing I was thinking is that you got very low gears for a manual transmission you would most likely see better times with that mild cam if you went with a higher gear or an auto.

T56elcamino

Weekend Racer
Aug 16, 2008
Opelousas, LA
not its a lunati vodoo...

T56elcamino

Weekend Racer
Aug 16, 2008
Opelousas, LA
so if I got like some 3.73's or something I would run quicker because I would have to shift less often or something? I'm not going back to an auto so I can rule that out.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts