Turbo or Supercharger?

Jordan81

Pro Stocker
Feb 10, 2004
wichita, ks
depedning on what kinda power you wanna make... i think a blow through system with no i/c will work fine for a 9 sec car...thats all i'm sayin.

A

Anonymous

id go with the supercharger for instant boost off the line...turbos have to kick in as the rpm's rise...nd you can get lag if you dont tune it right...you want your compression to be low when youre running a turbo or supercharger

CutlassRacer

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 18, 2004
Gainesville, FL
www.facebook.com
Jordan81 said:
depedning on what kinda power you wanna make... i think a blow through system with no i/c will work fine for a 9 sec car...thats all i'm sayin.

Definitely! I didnt meant to say that it isnt possible, even though that is how it kinda came off.

Will ran 8.90s with his first thrown together blow through combination with a stock GM 502 BBC short block. This was non intercooled, blow through 4150 carb and C-16 with #15 psi of boost approximately 4 years ago. Keeping the blower/turbo within its best efficiency range will really help the air inlet temps.

We built a setup for one of our customers that has plenty of power to run 9s, but instead he likes rolling burnouts on the street at 80 mph. This is a pump gas 400" SBC with one of our blow through carbs on it, little 197cc Canfield heads, TH400, drag radials, etc etc. Its been 137mph at the track and kinda scared the owner since it it has no roll bar at all.

DB

Frequent Racer
Jan 20, 2006
Alabama
With the way people have radial cars working now, boosted big blocks will be on top. Hopefully some of us small block guys will still have a chane due to the 1/8th. I plan on 4.90's come Bradenton but that won't be enough to be on top.

The gear drive has changed everything we hated about belt driven chargers. The only downside to them is the cost.

Excelerater

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 22, 2003
Memphis,TN
DB said:
With the way people have radial cars working now, boosted big blocks will be on top. Hopefully some of us small block guys will still have a chane due to the 1/8th. I plan on 4.90's come Bradenton but that won't be enough to be on top.

The gear drive has changed everything we hated about belt driven chargers. The only downside to them is the cost.

Multistage nitrous big chief motors have gone 480s,....And there is room for more

As long as DR stays 8th mile Boosted cars will not dominate....
I think the Prochargers can run faster than the Turbos in the 8th as well,
I am considering an F3 for next year on alky,depending on how fast we can go with
my new and improved nitrous combination due out in a few weeks..........

DB

Frequent Racer
Jan 20, 2006
Alabama
Every combo other than N20 and procharged small blocks have gone 4.80's so far. The turbo small block is the only small block to go 4.80's.

A turbo big block can run just as well as a F3 big block. The key is building the turbo combo to 60' like a blower car. The blower combo is easier to slap together and drive but I would not hesitate to build a 600ci motor with twin 76's for 1/8 racing. I'm not going to dump any more money in an engine swap. I'll go back to playing with street cars. I enjoy radial racing but the $$$ has gotten crazy and I feel stupid for doing it as long as I have.

Now that every combo is capable of 60ing in the 1.20-1.23 range it will be much closer no matter what combination.

As for me. I have seen way to many rods taking the easy way out of all these alky motors...gas only for me.

CutlassRacer

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 18, 2004
Gainesville, FL
www.facebook.com
I went up to South Georgia with Will last night and we wont that event. Chad Henderson was out with his new TRZ chassis work and suspension changes and was 60 footing in the 1.24 range until they wounded a cylinder in the motor. They blanked off the nitrous jets for that hole and made it to the finals running a 5.16 in the semis and a 5.13 in the finals.

The ole blow through carb that doesnt work went 4.952 in qualifying, 4.959 round one, 4.928, and 4.937 in the finals. We were supposed to have a bye into the finals, but there was only two cars left after second round so we just ran the finals instead of each of the semifinal runs being a bye run. Had we gotten the bye run, we were going to swing for the fence with the tuneup and put up a number that everyone would have been talking about ;) We decided to just play it safe and leave the same tuneup in the car for the entire race and we ended up in the winner's circle.

basketcase

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 9, 2003
Stockton, CA
www.jackstandracing.com
CutlassRacer said:
I went up to South Georgia with Will last night and we wont that event. Chad Henderson was out with his new TRZ chassis work and suspension changes and was 60 footing in the 1.24 range until they wounded a cylinder in the motor. They blanked off the nitrous jets for that hole and made it to the finals running a 5.16 in the semis and a 5.13 in the finals.

The ole blow through carb that doesnt work went 4.952 in qualifying, 4.959 round one, 4.928, and 4.937 in the finals. We were supposed to have a bye into the finals, but there was only two cars left after second round so we just ran the finals instead of each of the semifinal runs being a bye run. Had we gotten the bye run, we were going to swing for the fence with the tuneup and put up a number that everyone would have been talking about ;) We decided to just play it safe and leave the same tuneup in the car for the entire race and we ended up in the winner's circle.

Gotta love the consistency of a procharger...

DB

Frequent Racer
Jan 20, 2006
Alabama
Congrats to Will. 4.9's every pass is sure impressive. I was hoping Chad would have been healthy to make a race out of it. We'll be back to Valdosta the first of next month for the ORSCA race. Will should come up and run limited street.

I went to Nashville and got down to 4 cars before Pooch put me on the trailer. I struggled all night with tire shake on the 325's.

basketcase

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 9, 2003
Stockton, CA
www.jackstandracing.com
DB said:
Congrats to Will. 4.9's every pass is sure impressive. I was hoping Chad would have been healthy to make a race out of it. We'll be back to Valdosta the first of next month for the ORSCA race. Will should come up and run limited street.

I went to Nashville and got down to 4 cars before Pooch put me on the trailer. I struggled all night with tire shake on the 325's.

Haven't heard much from you lately? How's the car running? Getting the new combo sorted out?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts