Turbo or Supercharger?

A

Anonymous

PRO CHARGER ALL THE WAY... BUILD A FLAT TOP 350 WITH A BULLET PROOF BOTTOM END....AND THROW A PROCHARGER ON THE BIOTCH.....JUST HOLD ON TIGHT... :lol:

dev1360

Frequent Racer
Dec 22, 2006
East Alton, IL
the procharger kit alone blows his budget. i know he likes small blocks..i did too..till i found the light and built a stock bottom end big oval stock headed 468 that will run quick for cheap. i know i know ...they're heavy. but cheap.

Excelerater

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 22, 2003
Memphis,TN
EFI Turbo is the best power adder
imo

chilli

Dragway Regular
Jul 9, 2003
Indianapolis
I sold my 406 which was about 500 hp last fall for $3400 carb to pan with a converter. So if you want turn key on a $4000 budget get on racing junk and weed through the junk and find a used 350-406.

Remember that you are going to have to upgrade the whole drivetrain when you throw 500 hp at it.

PS don't be afraid of spray. Its great for street strip deals. Mild on the street fun on the strip.

<------406 - small shot

1QwikBu

Dragway Regular
Jul 6, 2003
olympia washington
Robert1320 said:
Bigtime said:
GN, syclone, typhoon all need to be power braked for boost now the blower car leaves off idle see sig.

None of those count!

x2

this one takes forever to spool up huh http://horsepowerconnection.com/images/Multimedia/Brian_7.90.wmv

it does have a little over a second delay in it on the luanch control to not blow the drag radials off

A

Anonymous

You guys kill me, let me put it this way:

4 cars are sitting idling at a traffic light, all have the same power at WOT. One NA, one with NOS, one supercharged, one turbo. Now if we all hit the throttle at the same time the turbo will be last to the next traffic light. This is not an opinion its a fact. The turbo needs exhaust to spool so no exhaust no boost.

The original question was what was best for his application, slill set and wallet. No where does a DIY turbo fit in his equation.

MyBU

Frequent Racer
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta, GA
When comparing the SBC to the BBC, how much of a difference in weight are we talking?

DB

Frequent Racer
Jan 20, 2006
Alabama
Bigtime said:
Now a question for you since you said what I posted was BS. You and I are at a light you have your Junkyard blowthru turbo setup and I have a blower or NOS. You have to sit there and spool up I don't. Turbos and drag racing are another problem area. I have spent so much time on one turbo vehicle trying to find the right balance between engine/spoolup/converter/transmission gears its ridiculous. But since the owner thinks its neat to have twin turbos so be it. How many turbo cars win repeatedly in any drag racing class? How many even can run fast in the 1/8th? I own 3 turbo FI cars so I guess I don't know what I'm talking about.

Maybe because I have my own business where people leave here turn key makes me more apt to stay away from builds that are questionable. You always need to address the persons goals, then give the truth.

I don't think the turbo is the problem here :lol: I take it you don't keep up with any kind of heads up racing. Rules have been written in every organization to keep the turbo's from dominating....that's the truth. Come to the races with us...A turbo car is in the finals about every race and win's most of the time. One turbo car alone has racked up over 20k in winnings this year alone...and the rules favor the blower cars. Guys have figured out how to make them run the 1/8...

If you own 3 FI turbo cars you should have no problem figuring out how to make these cars work. The stop light example is a good one.....now try it with someone who races turbo cars at the track and see what happens. He's got boost and leaves along with the other cars. If you don't know how he does it then that answers my questions about your knowledge.

Anyway, for 500 hp I'd go N/A with a small shot of n20. A mild blower/turbo combo would make way more than that on a mild motor.

Robert1320

Pro Stocker
DB said:
If you own 3 FI turbo cars you should have no problem figuring out how to make these cars work. The stop light example is a good one.....now try it with someone who races turbo cars at the track and see what happens. He's got boost and leaves along with the other cars. If you don't know how he does it then that answers my questions about your knowledge.

Anyway, for 500 hp I'd go N/A with a small shot of n20. A mild blower/turbo combo would make way more than that on a mild motor.

So true...
I know of a lot of guys trying to have less boost leaving to control the car.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts