Turbo or Supercharger?

basketcase

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 9, 2003
Stockton, CA
www.jackstandracing.com
MyBU said:
Thanx guys for helping me out on all this. Im going to do some more research. I dont know if I really want to go with boost right now. I was looking at some different setups, and #### does get expensive fast! I would want to go with a 350 or 383 motor, because I was told that 406 motors are limited to their RPM, and I heard they rev slowwer, too. Is this true?

383 and 406 have the same stroke....

MyBU

Frequent Racer
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Well then what engine and combo do you guys think I should build to achieve somewhere around 500 hp?

Im not real fond of spraying.

basketcase

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 9, 2003
Stockton, CA
www.jackstandracing.com
MyBU said:
Well then what engine and combo do you guys think I should build to achieve somewhere around 500 hp?

Im not real fond of spraying.

Bigtime is not replying to your topic to practice his typing.

Check out AFR's site...they have a 500hp, pump gas combo on their site.

A 350" motor only needs to make about 1.4/1.5hp per cubic inch to get around 500hp...very doable with today's technology.

One piece of advice I'll offer...don't get hung up on numbers...It's usable power, and/or power 'under the curve' that you should be concerned about.

What will the rest of the combo consist of? I hope you don't have a 7.5". If you do, will a new rear have to come out of that $4k budget? What trans/converter will you be using? Own one of each sufficient to handle the power and stalled where you need it to be? Again, will that come out of your $4k budget?

You'd be throwing away money to build a 500hp motor and not have the rest of the stuff necessary to support the power.

MonteMike79

Pro Stocker
Nov 7, 2003
Erie, PA
Yup it doesn't take much to add up to $4k when you have to do the rest of the drivetrain along with the new mill. Matching the parts is the key to making use of that power and getting the most out of it.

A

Anonymous

ChrisIDV said:
Do a budget turbo setup on a 350. You will be able to make more power then you will know what to do with. You can get a Master Power t70 for 500 bucks. The thing about waiting for the power to come on is BS unless you go with a huge turbo. If you want something that makes masive amounts of power with perfect street manners, a turbo is the way to go.

Do you know what he expects from this combo? do you know his skill set and tool collection?
The combo you spec. would make some power but for what? How much work would it take to run good? how long would that bottom end live?

turbo mustangs might be alright if he knows what to look for but what if he doesn't? Unfortunately for as many good posts I've seen so many wrong things over there.

Now a question for you since you said what I posted was BS. You and I are at a light you have your Junkyard blowthru turbo setup and I have a blower or NOS. You have to sit there and spool up I don't. Turbos and drag racing are another problem area. I have spent so much time on one turbo vehicle trying to find the right balance between engine/spoolup/converter/transmission gears its ridiculous. But since the owner thinks its neat to have twin turbos so be it. How many turbo cars win repeatedly in any drag racing class? How many even can run fast in the 1/8th? I own 3 turbo FI cars so I guess I don't know what I'm talking about.

Maybe because I have my own business where people leave here turn key makes me more apt to stay away from builds that are questionable. You always need to address the persons goals, then give the truth.

MyBU

Frequent Racer
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Reading what Bigtime just said, I think ive made my decision to go naturally aspirated, I did research and alot more goes into it than i thought.
Ill save the turbo thing for a project way down the road.lol

I will be using a built 700R4 transmission, I wont know what stall to use until I
decide what will be going into the motor. Right now I have the stock 7.5 unit and that is going to be replaced soon in favor of a ford 9" with 3.42 gears and rear disc.

Thanks guys for all the useful info to help me make a decision. Keep up the good work.

A

Anonymous

My turbo should spool almost imediately actually since it's fairly small. What he expects from the combo is 500hp. I gave him a combo that can easily do that. I know a lot of turbo cars that run very well in the 1/8th. I'm not saying you don't know what you're talking about. I'm just saying that the tought of a turbo car waiting an eternity to spool is becoming a thing of the past. I didn't know much more then the basics when I decided to build a turbo car. That's why I gave him that link. There might be a little BS on there but there is a lot of good information and a lot of good guys that are willing to help. What are your 3 turbo cars?

A

Anonymous

GN, syclone, typhoon all need to be power braked for boost now the blower car leaves off idle see sig.

A

Anonymous

Nice. What blower are you running? A buddy of mine runs an s10 with a 540 and an f1r. So far it's been a best of 9.40 on pump gas letting out somewhere just after the 8th mile with a 1.5 60 foot. He hasn't got the cert yet so we've just been concentrating on getting it to leave better. 2 weeks ago it went 1.28 with the front tires on the ground. He gets his cert on the 28th or something. Should be interesting to see what he can do with it.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!