What kind of coilovers are You guys running or recomend?

kevind

Dragway Regular
Jan 7, 2009
Whitley City KY
I am in the process of update some things on My Malibu rollcage,frame notch and tubular A frames. I changed motors last summer I went from a all steel BBC to a all aluminum BBC and My front end is up to high and the car drives funny like the front end stays "topped out". I am wanting to go to coilovers on all around but what kind Strange,QA1 or ? My car is mainly a street car but I do go to the track a few times a year.

CutlassRacer

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 18, 2004
Gainesville, FL
www.facebook.com
For mostly street you could get away with the QA1, they just might not work quite as well at the track as the Strange ones will. The Strange ones require an installation kit like TRZ sells to install the coil over style too.

kevind

Dragway Regular
Jan 7, 2009
Whitley City KY
Are the Strange more adjustable than the QA1. I have run several types of shocks on My dirt cars over the Years and I know that there are big gains to be had. I have some cheap Carquest shocks on it now. My best 60' was 1.60 when I went and tested before something in the clutch broke.

CutlassRacer

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 18, 2004
Gainesville, FL
www.facebook.com
The Strange shocks seem to have much better consistency across the different shocks when compared to QA1 from what I have seen and heard from other racers. If you really want a trick shock, check out the AFCOs. They have a ton of adjustability.

thegrassmaster

Amateur Racer
Aug 2, 2009
Chittenango, NY.
QA1 Beehive spring setup is garbage.

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
cdeezy2003 said:
thegrassmaster said:
QA1 Beehive spring setup is garbage.

why? what does it fail at? is it the spring or the shock? both?

Lack of travel & stored energy. Also poor spring selection with the QA1 setup. You need alot of power to make the coil over setup work properly. Stick with the stock coil spring setup. Don't be lazy about installing springs...it takes 30 minutes for both sides with a spring compressor.

BMR Sales

Frequent Racer
Nov 20, 2008
10secBu is right on the money. The QA1 pro coil setup doesn't give you enough travel. They work good for a pro touring or street car but for a drag car you would be better of using a non coil over shock and a factory style spring.

ILLEGAL REGAL

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jan 1, 2005
Tinley Park,IL
coilbind with the qa1 beehive setup is the problem. Strange is the best bang for the buck but with the new price drop on the afcos they sure cant be beat now! You can get into them for a tad more than the strange shocks.

kevind

Dragway Regular
Jan 7, 2009
Whitley City KY
Why kind of springs do think I need for My car here are My wheel weights with Me In it full of fuel.
LF 1080 RF 980
LR 824 RR 792
Total is 3680 Rear % is 43.9
I changed for a all steel BBC to a all aluminum BBC And My front is almost topped out it is way to high. Here is a pick of how it is now.
iphone2003.jpg

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts