be afraid... kind of afraid

78Bu88SS

Dragway Regular
Nov 1, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
MISFITmalibu63 said:
found a 2002 silverado, 5.3/4l60E 62,000 miles... the guy is parting it out, the trans needs a rebuild. still on the fence, but it may make its way into my garage

Go LS in the wagon and you wont regret it, gauranteed. Its easy to get it to fit honestly. I got my lq4 stuffed in my dads 83SS with AC a month back. Just clears the AC box with the trans in the stock spot but it looks really good. If you get that setup for a good price talk to Tim about doing the trans, otherwise a good TH400 wouldnt be terrible with 3.42s and a turbo.

MISFITmalibu63

MalibuRacing Junkie
Feb 21, 2004
The Sticks... Tewksbury MA
78Bu88SS said:
MISFITmalibu63 said:
found a 2002 silverado, 5.3/4l60E 62,000 miles... the guy is parting it out, the trans needs a rebuild. still on the fence, but it may make its way into my garage

Go LS in the wagon and you wont regret it, gauranteed. Its easy to get it to fit honestly. I got my lq4 stuffed in my dads 83SS with AC a month back. Just clears the AC box with the trans in the stock spot but it looks really good. If you get that setup for a good price talk to Tim about doing the trans, otherwise a good TH400 wouldnt be terrible with 3.42s and a turbo.

yea, if i get this setup, i was gonna ask tim to go through the trans. i wonder if theres any way to use the stock speedo with the 4L60e. good to know that someone local has done this swap!

78Bu88SS

Dragway Regular
Nov 1, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
I've done it twice actually, once I had the lq4 in my 88. I pulled the drivetrain and sold the car with a mild 355/2004r last summer to help fund my garage. My old motor, 2004r, and 8.5 are going in my dads 83SS as we speak. I have the FAST EFI all wired up and working, all the drivetrain is done now, just need to do some minor bodywork and paint it, I'm hoping to have it done before summers end.

I believe there is a box that takes the VSS output (sine wave) and makes it drive a motor. I'm sure its not cheap, or even how reliable. Might want to see what Phillip did with his malibu when he did the 4.8 swap a few years back. Otherwise its a nice opportunity to get a electric speedo, I for one am tired of cables...too much bouncing and noise.

Al

Pro Stocker
May 25, 2003
Harker Heights, TX
Just get one of the MSD GPS deals. You'll have to get an electric speedo though. http://www.autometer.com/media_newsarticle.aspx?yr=2012&mo=3&aid=124

sbmalibu

Frequent Racer
Oct 5, 2009
north judson indiana
Just do like most of my friends and i have, buy a cheap gps unit with the speedo display on it. I have even thought of trying to put mine in the dash.Just dont know if it will pick up the signal if its behind the dash.

lt4malibu

Pro Stocker
Feb 22, 2004
NJ
MISFITmalibu63 said:
78Bu88SS said:
MISFITmalibu63 said:

yea, if i get this setup, i was gonna ask tim to go through the trans. i wonder if theres any way to use the stock speedo with the 4L60e. good to know that someone local has done this swap!

http://www.abbott-tach.com/cablex.htm
i have this, works great and if you search for seller "tachman" on ebay you can get them for @ $250 - JTR makes a tailshaft conversion kit but i think it was somewhere @ $450??

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts