What kind of coilovers are You guys running or recomend?

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
kevind said:
Why kind of springs do think I need for My car here are My wheel weights with Me In it full of fuel.
LF 1080 RF 980
LR 824 RR 792
Total is 3680 Rear % is 43.9
I changed for a all steel BBC to a all aluminum BBC And My front is almost topped out it is way to high. Here is a pick of how it is now.
iphone2003.jpg

HOLY COW, now does it weigh that much with an all aluminum BBC?

Heck, when I had my iron headed BBC it didn't weigh that much on the front wheels.

I previously ran the 250 #/in rate Moroso trick spring up front, but again had slightly less front end weight.

I'd recommend calling Santhuff as they have a new line of custom made conventional coil springs. They should be able to fix ya up.

What springs are on the car now?

What A-arm bushings?

kevind

Dragway Regular
Jan 7, 2009
Whitley City KY
Yes the weights are with the aluminum motor. The battery is still in the front all the AC stuff and electric fans added some weight back. I changed from a all steel 496,Muncie and a 12 bolt to a all aluminum 574,TKO 600 with the scatter sheild, block saver plate, 9 inch rear. I know the rear end and trans weigh alot more. I think it ended up being 3 pounds lighter when I swaped every thing if it had a full tank of gas with the steel motor I'm not sure if it did or not. I know its heavy It has power windows and full interior. The springs in the car now are some big block springs I got from PST I'm not sure of the rate. The bushings are PST polly. I think this combo is 78 pounds lighter at the front wheels.

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
kevind said:
Yes the weights are with the aluminum motor. The battery is still in the front all the AC stuff and electric fans added some weight back. I changed from a all steel 496,Muncie and a 12 bolt to a all aluminum 574,TKO 600 with the scatter sheild, block saver plate, 9 inch rear. I know the rear end and trans weigh alot more. I think it ended up being 3 pounds lighter when I swaped every thing if it had a full tank of gas with the steel motor I'm not sure if it did or not. I know its heavy It has power windows and full interior. The springs in the car now are some big block springs I got from PST I'm not sure of the rate. The bushings are PST polly. I think this combo is 78 pounds lighter at the front wheels.

Given the build sounds like a street car deal, I'd consider looking into a Moog stock replacement, maybe a small block V8 coil spring. There's some Moog charts floating around on the internet that give the spring specs and also rated on the front end weight. You could compare the small block (305) air vs non-air springs.

8secChevy

Amateur Racer
Jun 28, 2008
Williamstown, NJ
10secBu is right on the money. Back when my BBC was NA I had stock SBC springs in the front. I even cut one coil off to get ride height where I wanted it. Even with the spring cut I still had 4 - 5" of travel, and used to pull 1.40 60' times with cheap gas shocks on the front. Btw your car looks awsome. Need to see some engine shots.

kevind

Dragway Regular
Jan 7, 2009
Whitley City KY
I dont have any pics with Me after I got everything hooked up but here is a couple took during the last build.
iphone022.jpg

iphone005.jpg

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts