where is the start wire on an 86 g body?

slimbo

May 21, 2007
www.yellowbullet.com
i have the ignition switch in my view but the purple wire (which it should be)is hot whenever the key is on! shouldnt it only be hot when i crank it? or is there a factory relay somewhere feeding the starter solenoid? tryint to get my switch working.

slimbo

May 21, 2007
www.yellowbullet.com
been reading thru some diagrams and it seems as though two wires coming from the ign switch get grounded thru the ecm when in park or nuetral. still trying to figure this out.

footbrake

Dragway Regular
Feb 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
wire

The larger guage purple wire is the neutal safety switch wire

slimbo

May 21, 2007
www.yellowbullet.com
im confused because the purple is hot also when the key is just in the on position.

footbrake

Dragway Regular
Feb 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
wire

It will be. When the ign. is on ,everything on the column is energized

slimbo

May 21, 2007
www.yellowbullet.com
well isf that wire gos to the starter solenoid and it energized it should be cranking. even the wiring diagrams show it going to the solenoid but im confused as to how it can go direct to the starter. is there a relay somewhere?

footbrake

Dragway Regular
Feb 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
wire

Yes, but it goes throught the neutral safety switch first and will not power uo until you turn the key to start, not just on

slimbo

May 21, 2007
www.yellowbullet.com
it does not go thru the neutral saftey switch. one wire from the switch goes to ground and the other to the ecm. i can unhook the nuetral safety switch completely and the car still starts. in all the wiring diagrams it shows the wire going direct from the ign switch to the starter with nothing in beetween.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts