350tbi build what to expect?

74dodge

Daily Driver
Feb 9, 2011
hey guys im thinking of picking up a 350 tbi block its really cheap which is nice but im wondering what kinda power to expect i know there 210hp stock but im gonna put some vortecs on it and a good intake and carb(probaly rpm performer)what kinda power do you think that would put out?would it be worth it to save up the extra 300 bucks and go with patriots over the vortecs?also i dont know anything about cams so what would a good cam for it be?ill be running the stock tbi bottom end any help would be greatly appreciated

Brandon

fastheavychevy

Amateur Racer
Nov 30, 2009
sorry I haven't, but I've heard from machine shops there ok for moderate builds. are far as heads and cam, just make sure the combo is right. you can't have a big cam and small heads our vis versa. tell us exactly what you wanna do with this motor. is it a st. car, drag car, nitrous? you need to be a but more indicative. I looked at the patriot heads for a long time. I did research on them and I almost bought me a set. I think 695.00 jegs or summit not sure. but they look good, but springs aren't that big for what I want to run. if there in your area of cam size if get them. I found some sport man 2 fully ported n assembled with big studs n springs for 3 bills spend 2 bills to re fresh them up came out like new. I'm running a comp cam xtreme energy 507/510 lift n I like the power n sound. it will work with the patriot head springs im assuming there the 190 cc patriots.

74dodge

Daily Driver
Feb 9, 2011
well i want to have a fun street car with some occasional track use (both drag and road course) and no i was looking at the 225cc patriots for 900(or would the 185cc's be better for this application?)with an edelbrock rpm series carb and intake and i know sh*t all about cams so i wouldnt really know what to get in that department but i was just curious as to what kinda power it would put out?

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
Im thinking that you should be able to Make the same horepower with a TBI block that you could with a pre TBI block. The big power robber of a TBI motor is the TBI.

fastheavychevy

Amateur Racer
Nov 30, 2009
Try comp cam , cam quest program download it from there web site its free.
74dodge said:
well i want to have a fun street car with some occasional track use (both drag and road course) and no i was looking at the 225cc patriots for 900(or would the 185cc's be better for this application?)with an edelbrock rpm series carb and intake and i know #### all about cams so i wouldnt really know what to get in that department but i was just curious as to what kinda power it would put out?

74dodge

Daily Driver
Feb 9, 2011
DOUG213XRJ said:
Im thinking that you should be able to Make the same horepower with a TBI block that you could with a pre TBI block. The big power robber of a TBI motor is the TBI.
thats what i was thinking and considering some of those 70s 350s only have like 170hp the 210hp that the tbi comes with seems like a decent base.and like you said the tbi system robs alot of power so swapping to carb should help that alot

Bar50

Pro Stocker
Jan 31, 2009
Tulsa, OK
74dodge said:
well i want to have a fun street car with some occasional track use (both drag and road course) and no i was looking at the 225cc patriots for 900(or would the 185cc's be better for this application?)with an edelbrock rpm series carb and intake and i know #### all about cams so i wouldnt really know what to get in that department but i was just curious as to what kinda power it would put out?

I know all the big head choices are out there. I want to put some things into perspective. Not too long ago, to have a 215cc or larger runner required off-set rocker arms and off-set lifters. They are huge. If you do get the big heads they will work better on a mild motor with with a smaller cam. They heads flow so much better the bigger cam is not needed to move the same amount of air.

I would steer you to vortecs or after market vortec clones. That is unless you already have the intake you want to run, then I would steer you towards any head in the 170-200cc realm. I have had lots of luck with the RPM Air Gap intakes on big and small blocks. If you can get aluminum, they are lighter, can be repaired, and will allow for almost a point higher compression on the same fuel (like from 9.0-1 to 10.0-1). Some TBI motors were hydraulic roller cam'ed, not all, also, not all of them have a provision for a mechanical fuel pump.

You can get the hydraulic roller stuff pretty reasonable now too, lasts longer and makes easy horsepower. GM Performance Parts offer some cams, the LT4 "hot cam" gets lots of press, but is designed to work in harmony with the ECM and fuel infection, so, if does not have that 'big cam' sound or idle.

74dodge

Daily Driver
Feb 9, 2011
thanks for the info i just talked to my buddy and hes gonna sell me his patriots that have less the 2000kms on them for 600 bucks but im not sure if there the 185cc or 225cc but when i find that out ill base the rest of what i get around that

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I think with a street 350 you would be best staying at under 190ccs (depending on cam), going larger and you'll hurt port velocity. Two of the biggest let-downs in the TBI engines were the cams and the heads. The heads would do you good up to about 300hp, but that's about it, and they make more down-low torque typically than most other heads because of the swirl ramp (until the Vortecs came along). Hopefully the heads you got are 185cc, anything bigger I would save for a race-only engine. The TBI portion isn't so much to blame, a 454 TB with the right size injectors and you should be able to feed close to 500hp.

*edit*
Just got off work... oops, guess I brought an old thread back #-o

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts