388bu's LQ4 swap thread - Its alive!

basketcase

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 9, 2003
Stockton, CA
www.jackstandracing.com
Re: 388bu's LQ4 swap thread

388bu said:
Worked on the wiring tonight and laying out the harness/ecm location along with the necessary relay's and fuses. I had decided to mount the ECM about where the windshield washer bottle used to be, but decided it cluttered up the engine bay too much.

The ECM will live under the glove box along with two relays and a 3 spot fuse block now. Should have the wiring pretty much all done within a couple of days or so.

Few new pics at the link in my sig.

You sent the harness out? How'd you like it?

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com

Yes. Jesse at Wait4mePerformance did it. The price was right and it was done perfectly for what I wanted. I had to extend the alternator wiring(f-body accy's) and tweak some of the wiring near the ECM to make the harness fit nicer under the glove box, but nothing major. Id use Jesse again no question.

But...I have an electronics degree and have screwed with wiring a lot in the past which helped me. This might not be the best choice for someone who is a wiring noob and is expecting to just plug stuff in and go in 5 minutes.

Was planning to do it myself, but like Phillip, I got lazy as well. :lol:

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com

388bu said:
Yes. Jesse at Wait4mePerformance did it. The price was right and it was done perfectly for what I wanted. I had to extend the alternator wiring(f-body accy's) and tweak some of the wiring near the ECM to make the harness fit nicer under the glove box, but nothing major. Id use Jesse again no question.

But...I have an electronics degree and have screwed with wiring a lot in the past which helped me. This might not be the best choice for someone who is a wiring noob and is expecting to just plug stuff in and go in 5 minutes.

Was planning to do it myself, but like Phillip, I got lazy as well. :lol:
Are you an EE? I got a buddy that doubled with an ME. I probably wouldn't hesitate to do it myself either, I'd just need the research beforehand :p

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com

Just a small update.

The wiring is basically done. Did a quick test of the ECM...it kicks the fuel pump on for about 2-3 seconds and ive got a working SES light so im calling the wiring good. :lol:

Finished mounting the ECM under the glove box. That turned out a little better than I thought it would. A couple new pics at the link in my sig.

Just waiting on my flywheel and headers to arrive and I can button this thing up. :twisted:

Greg1960

Apr 17, 2008
Mile High

That's a great looking swap. Since you are using F-body front accessories, you may want to re route the serp belt to the F-body configuration. That will give the proper amount of belt contact on the harmonic balancer pulley.

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com

Greg1960 said:
That's a great looking swap. Since you are using F-body front accessories, you may want to re route the serp belt to the F-body configuration. That will give the proper amount of belt contact on the harmonic balancer pulley.
Thank you. And thanks for pointing out my routing screw up!! I thought I had it routed correctly, but after looking closer I switched the idler pulley and alternator order around. #-o

Oh and welcome to the site!

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com

HOLY CRAP! My headers just showed up! Some of you know the ordeal ive been going through to get these. Very short story: Ordered on 9/22...shipped soon after and then returned to shipper last tuesday for no reason! Shipped again on tuesday, kept being re-scheduled, tons of calls to UPS, they are worthless....well, they just showed up. Its a miracle.

I wasnt sure if they would clear my bellhousing/block plate, but they do with no trimming whatsoever! These babies fit nice so far. Heres a couple of mock-up pics....they are sexy. These are the 1-7/8" versions by the way.

Assuming no other major surprises...she'll be running by tomorrow.

2965622088_9a6778aa00_b.jpg

2964779195_c024574a94_b.jpg

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!