388bu's LQ4 swap thread - Its alive!

Greg1960

Apr 17, 2008
Mile High
Re: 388bu's LQ4 swap thread

The headers look like they were worth the wait. Post up some pics after you get the engine, trans and headers set in. :mrgreen:

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com
Re: 388bu's LQ4 swap thread

Muhahahahahaha! Its alive! Another successful LSx swap on MR.com.

And it even drives too...just enough to turn it around in my garage. I havent hooked up the exhaust yet since these headers are not aiming too nicely for the GForce crossmember....might have to fall back to the flex pipe plan and drive to an exhaust shop.

Basically hooked everything up and walked around the car about 80 times seeing if I forgot anything...turned the key 2 times to prime the fuel system plenty and it fired right up. Idled goofy for about 20 seconds until it re-learned how to do that. The thermostat wasnt opening and I shut it down at about 225 to figure out why. Goofy backwards thermostat location. Had to pour coolant down the top radiator hose to essentially prime the water pump more or less. I was starting to wonder how it would ever open since there was no coolant there! #-o

Pics, videos, or something soon! Back outside to figure out my exhaust!

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
w00t! \:D/ I'm anxious to see/hear :D

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com
So I just got some sort of exhaust on it...it aint pretty, but it'll work till I can get it to an exhaust shop. I get it set down off the jackstands and it starts raining! Oh well, took it around the block quick and it drove great! Sounds totally different than my 388...my buddy commented that it sounded meaner and I agree...loving the new sound so far. Unfortunately ive got a nasty exhaust leak(no surprise there) so tomorrow ill try to fix that and maybe get some new video.

Illegal:

My plan was just to get it in and running as-is. I didnt wanna undertake too much at once. This winter ill see how funds go...ill either do H/C/I or maybe just an intake and cam next year with plans for a procharger. Ive got all winter to decide what route I want to go.

Ill tell ya...Ive got right at $5k in the swap, BUT im also using a $760 set of headers and ~$800 worth of brand new pulleys/accessories. That figure includes all the little nickel and dime crap too. I had to buy two o2 sensors because they didnt give them to me, had to get a $400 flywheel, etc etc. Had to re-do some of my fuel system for the returnless fuel rail. The little stuff adds up.

With these headers and the CTS-V pan and Jesse at Wait4me performance doing the ECM/Harness, it was a pretty damn easy swap honestly. I had some unique issues with the aftermarket T56 too that most others wont have.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts