388bu's LQ4 swap thread - Its alive!

A

Anonymous

Awesome! did you use the Speartech computer system or have someone write you a tune? The thing is sweet! Can't wait to get mine started!

A

Anonymous

I've heard good things about him. What all did he do for you, cat delete and stuff like that? I'm just wondering how you ran the aftermarket gauges with the modern computers and things like that. Did you have to do a lot of rewiring with the 6.0 harness to make things work with the Malibu harness? Thats my main concern right now is getting that all figured out. I'm thinking of using Justin at Black Bear Performance. A friend of mine is using him to tune his 5.3 silverado, we'll see how it goes. His prices are quite reasonable as well.

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com
bowtie29 said:
I've heard good things about him. What all did he do for you, cat delete and stuff like that? I'm just wondering how you ran the aftermarket gauges with the modern computers and things like that. Did you have to do a lot of rewiring with the 6.0 harness to make things work with the Malibu harness? Thats my main concern right now is getting that all figured out. I'm thinking of using Justin at Black Bear Performance. A friend of mine is using him to tune his 5.3 silverado, we'll see how it goes. His prices are quite reasonable as well.
He re-worked the harness to remove all the uneccesary crap. He then labeled everything you have to hook up. The main wires are ignition hot and battery hot plus the sensors, etc.

He also deleted VATS and the rear o2's, evap, etc. I am running autometer water and oil senders. Only the original coolant sensor is needed by the ecm, not the oil pressure one. You will also have a tach wire from the ECM. Its really pretty easy stuff.

A

Anonymous

That sounds like it would make things very nice, neat, and easy. Did he have to break you piggy bank? Sounds like if the cost is low, it would be much better/easier than running a completely different EFI system.

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com
bowtie29 said:
That sounds like it would make things very nice, neat, and easy. Did he have to break you piggy bank? Sounds like if the cost is low, it would be much better/easier than running a completely different EFI system.
It was very cheap. $360 and that includes the ECM tune. If you find something cheaper, id be VERY surprised.

Jesse aint no dummy either. He used to work for GM in this line of work. Writing the code for the ECM's I believe.

A

Anonymous

Sweet. I'd be suprised to find it cheaper too! That is a great deal. Sounds like that will be the route I go as soon as I decide on a powerplant.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
So have you got the exhaust taken care of yet?

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com
StreetBu said:
So have you got the exhaust taken care of yet?
Yes and no. Ive got something temporary on there connecting the headers to the rest of the system.

For the last few days I have been chasing down an exhaust leak from the slip fit collectors(I think). I am also chasing down what appears to be a vacuum leak, but ill be damned if I can find it! :x

I only hear the vacuum leak on start up and when I shut the motor down I can hear it bleed off. Intake gaskets look good to me, TB gasket looks good...all vac. lines are hooked up or blocked off. I'm off to the parts store to get some starting fluid to spray around it now.

The exhaust leak is really frustrating because I only really hear it when there's a load on the motor(driving). Hard to nail down. I have to be real careful with the black tar sealant stuff too. I already took out a pair of $80 O2 sensors. :x

78Bu88SS

Dragway Regular
Nov 1, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
388bu said:
bowtie29 said:
It was very cheap. $360 and that includes the ECM tune. If you find something cheaper, id be VERY surprised.

Jesse aint no dummy either. He used to work for GM in this line of work. Writing the code for the ECM's I believe.

Did you have to send him the harness and PCM or? Im debating going to fuel injection at somepoint and weighing my options right now.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts