388bu's LQ4 swap thread - Its alive!

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Double check the exhaust manifold gaskets to the head. I bet that's where it is.

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com
StreetBu said:
Double check the exhaust manifold gaskets to the head. I bet that's where it is.
Yup, did that. Those are good. Problem is ive got about 83 connections underneath(temporary) where it could be. My gut is still telling me at the collectors though.

Ribbedroof

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2004
Rural Oklahoma
388bu said:
Heres the quick overview of how I did the swap:

Mounts
Carshop inc standard mounts and re-drilled the frame after positioning the motor exactly where I wanted it. It is set back about 3/4 - 1".

Oil pan
CTS-V pan FTMFW!!! Unless your car is REALLY low, then this is the pan to use! My headers will scrape before the pan does. It hangs about 3/4" below the front crossmember.

So, my question is, where is the back of the block in relation to the OE location? Do I understand correctly that the block/bell junction is approx 1" closer to the firewall than the original setup?

And, part 2...Does the CTS pan require that much setback to clear the suspension crossmember?

And, part 3....Any idea on A/C compressor clearance?

Trying to map out the best setup, but I will need to keep an un-notched crossmember, and really need to keep the A/C on the car. I'll be using an 02 LS1 sourced from a Camaro. I see Kwik makes an A/C relocation kit for about $200, which then requires a Sanden compressor, so I'd prefer to avoid that avenue. Also concerned that setback will cause coil-A/C box problems.

Good work, though. I'm impressed with how quickly it all cam together. Doesn't seem like that long ago I saw where you were talking about leaning to an LS swap, and here we are all done. =D>

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com
Ribbedroof said:
388bu said:
Heres the quick overview of how I did the swap:

Mounts
Carshop inc standard mounts and re-drilled the frame after positioning the motor exactly where I wanted it. It is set back about 3/4 - 1".

Oil pan
CTS-V pan FTMFW!!! Unless your car is REALLY low, then this is the pan to use! My headers will scrape before the pan does. It hangs about 3/4" below the front crossmember.

So, my question is, where is the back of the block in relation to the OE location? Do I understand correctly that the block/bell junction is approx 1" closer to the firewall than the original setup?

And, part 2...Does the CTS pan require that much setback to clear the suspension crossmember?

And, part 3....Any idea on A/C compressor clearance?

Trying to map out the best setup, but I will need to keep an un-notched crossmember, and really need to keep the A/C on the car. I'll be using an 02 LS1 sourced from a Camaro. I see Kwik makes an A/C relocation kit for about $200, which then requires a Sanden compressor, so I'd prefer to avoid that avenue. Also concerned that setback will cause coil-A/C box problems.

Good work, though. I'm impressed with how quickly it all cam together. Doesn't seem like that long ago I saw where you were talking about leaning to an LS swap, and here we are all done. =D>
Thanks.

Q1: Basically the trans is 3/4" further forward than it used to be with the SBC. The motor is set back about 3/4" form where it normally would be if you used these carshop inc mounts and bolted the frame part into the stock location.

Q2: No, I could move the motor forward at least a good inch if I wanted to.

Q3: I am almost positive that the f-body A/C will NOT work at all using these type of mounts. (adapter plates with the old clamshell SBC mounts) If you want to use the F-body, or truck for that matter AC then you would have to look into a mount like BRP sells. I would be concerned with hood clearance with a truck intake and the BRP mounts however. I have heard of people using a 4.3? A/C bracket and mounting an older style R4? compressor in the upper left.

What are your plans? LS1? 6.0?

Ribbedroof

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2004
Rural Oklahoma
Well, despite the backwards logic, the wagon will be getting the LS1 and trans first. I figure it should be way plenty for it's intended use. Can always mod it later if it isn't "enough".

After it's up and running, the 2 door will get a transplant...probably depends on what's available then, although i do know a guy with a low mile 5.3/ auto OD pullout for dirt cheap.

A

Anonymous

You are running a MAFless system right. Whats the advantages/ disadvantages of this because I would think that It really wouldn't make that much difference. I would almost think the computer would need the MAF sensor to run the motor.

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com
bowtie29 said:
You are running a MAFless system right. Whats the advantages/ disadvantages of this because I would think that It really wouldn't make that much difference. I would almost think the computer would need the MAF sensor to run the motor.
No, I am running a MAF. Some people lose the MAF and run in speed density mode however. I think people mostly start doing this in high horsepower boosted applications generally.

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com
78Bu88SS said:
388bu said:
bowtie29 said:
That sounds like it would make things very nice, neat, and easy. Did he have to break you piggy bank? Sounds like if the cost is low, it would be much better/easier than running a completely different EFI system.
It was very cheap. $360 and that includes the ECM tune. If you find something cheaper, id be VERY surprised.

Jesse aint no dummy either. He used to work for GM in this line of work. Writing the code for the ECM's I believe.

Did you have to send him the harness and PCM or? Im debating going to fuel injection at somepoint and weighing my options right now.
Yup, sent both to him. It was a little less than 2 weeks turn around.

JRodS79

Pro Stocker
Nov 28, 2005
kansas city mo
all i can say is wow. very nice! =D>

A

Anonymous

Awesome ride! =D>

Im doing the same swap...but into a 95 Mustang instead.
:mrgreen:

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts