Charging circuit

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
So there is another board that I'm sure many of us are familiar with (and I know quite a few of us are on). A member over there is defending to no end that a ground strap to the body from the engine block will affect charging, specifically on a G-Body. Why he believes this I don't know, but I've tried explaining it multiple times to him. Does anyone know of any good links outlining a typical car's charging system? Howstuffworks.com doesn't have squat in relation to what I'm trying to find.

Glatt

Daily Driver
Nov 13, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Are you looking for something like this? http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/images/AlternatorWiringOverview-1973to1985Buick.jpg

Glatt

Daily Driver
Nov 13, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Some people are soo stubborn they would argue the sky is green, just because.

I could see a body ground affecting a fuel pump (maybe), electric windows or an interior light. Not sure how a body ground would have an affect on the charging system. I certainly have had no issues with mine.

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL
Why waste your time arguing about that? I run a body to frame ground strap, an engine to frame ground strap, and battery to frame ground and have no issues. Lee

383S10

Frequent Racer
Feb 29, 2004
Huntsville, AL
So my ground from the battery needs to go to the frame and not the engine block? Racecar77 are both the battery & engine grounds totally separate or do they come together at the same point on the frame? Thanks for your help guys......

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL
383S10, My battery is in the trunk and the ground from the battery goes to a stud welded on the frame in the rear. The engine has a ground to the frame in the front. The body has a ground strap to the frame as well. It might be overkill, but in my opinion you can't have too many grounds. I've seen cars, trucks, and construction equipment do strange things with bad or inadequate grounds.

383S10

Frequent Racer
Feb 29, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Okay I follow you now.....so I will try the same too except for the trunk battery right now....but later have too move that heavy Optima battery to the rear.........

tiedyemike8

Frequent Racer
Oct 28, 2009
Naperville, IL
Maybe he had a poor ground from engine to chassis for some reason. And maybe then he added a strap from engine to body, noticed his charging improved, and now he's convinced it's the only way to go.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts