Not charging?

ravenmetals

Weekend Racer
Oct 14, 2009
College Station,Texas
I just installed a new style alternator from a c1500 and the serpentine set up. I wired the S wire from the alt to my existing wire running to the starter. and the L wire with 50 ohm resistor to my existing gauge wire. and hooked up the bat lead to the terminal on the back same as on the old alt. I'm having a lot of trouble with the power flickering (example if the headlights are on they seem to dim and brighten up). I also moved the block ground from the brackets to the block itself. what should I be looking for as far as voltages and resistance to see where my problem is? any help is good help thanks

ScotSea

Frequent Racer
Sep 21, 2003
Is it a CS130? Is it really not charging, (your subject line) or is the voltage just moving around?

If it is a CS130, it really does not need the S (or sense) wire. But using it keeps the voltage at the S connection at the regulated voltage. Depending on where the voltage drops are in your system, the voltage at the S point may move around as the alternator trys to keep that voltage constant.

ravenmetals

Weekend Racer
Oct 14, 2009
College Station,Texas
I'm not sure if its a cs130 (as i do not know the differences) I do know its a duralast 105 A alternator for a '90 c1500. I don't believe its charging or if it is it doesn't seem to be doing much my voltage reading was anywhere from 8-10 and dropping with the car idling. if I'm understanding your reply the S terminal is used to see system voltage. so i should be seeing something just less than bat at the terminal with the car running all other electrical off right? if that S wire has a high resistance or has a brake in it would that cause the alt to charge then stop or does the S wire only help to keep the voltage higher. sorry for some many questions, now that i have a problem its peaked my interest in how this alt works.

ravenmetals

Weekend Racer
Oct 14, 2009
College Station,Texas
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Alternator/1990-Chevrolet-C1500-1-2ton-P-U-2WD/_/N-igjdrZ9ridy?counter=1&itemIdentifier=310924_49208_4443_
my camera isn't working but here is the link to autozone and the alternator that i have.

ravenmetals

Weekend Racer
Oct 14, 2009
College Station,Texas
Also I checked out my engine ground and found it wasn't making good contact. fixed that and the lights and voltages don't flicker but my voltages are still 8-10 at idle. however, once i got the rpm above 1500 it came up to 13 and held there.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts